Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Licensing not paid?  (Read 13306 times)

pvradio

• View Profile
    • Permanent Vacation Radio
Re: Licensing not paid?
« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2017, 11:04:31 AM »
This just in from ASCAP:

We're writing to follow up on our two previous communications regarding Streamlicensing and the opportunity to obtain a license agreement directly from ASCAP.

In light of false and misleading information being disseminated by Streamlicensing, it is important to consider these facts:

Streamlicensing's ASCAP license agreement was terminated by ASCAP on June 30, 2017, for breach, including Streamlicensing's failure to pay any license fees (on your behalf) for more than eight months.

Despite claiming it's conducting an "internal audit," Streamlicensing has not furnished ASCAP with any information concerning its metric tracking, reporting or fee calculations or made any proposals.

Streamlicensing has not responded to any of ASCAP's numerous communications about its breach nor engaged ASCAP in discussions regarding a resolution.

As a result of its failure to pay fees, ASCAP does not anticipate issuing - nor is it obligated to issue - a new license to Streamlicensing.

Termination of Streamlicensing's ASCAP license agreement means that it can no longer grant the authority to its broadcast affiliates to publicly perform ASCAP music. Any statements to the contrary - including any statements on Streamlicensing's website implying that the service remains "ASCAP Licensed" - are false.

In the absence of a license, publicly performing ASCAP music may consitute copyright infringement.

We understand that Streamlicensing's actions are an inconvenience to customers like you. We want you to know that obtaining your own ASCAP license is easy and affordable. Just click on this link: https://licensing.ascap.com/?type=digital and you can be fully licensed in a few simple "clicks" for a low, annual flat fee and no reporting.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at (212) 621-5698 or email mdemagistris@ascap.com.

Thank you!

ASCAP New Media Licensing Team

TheDrunkenScoundrel

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 07, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »
And I assume you forwarded that to SL?
BTW? ASCAP has a long history of being dishonest, so assume they are lying, right off the bat. Also, seing as how SL has named who is doing the audit and when that audit is due AND we have previous communication related to the system problem which caused this dispute-I am taking SL's word for it.
If it turns out that SL DID overpay and ASCAP terminated their contract for no good reason, they will likely not have much  choice but to reinstate the agreement.
I don't kknow what state hase jurisdiction over this matter, but if ASCAP is based in California the laws are very strict regarding refunding money for overpayment. The franchise tax board here is way tougher than the IRS.

elvise

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 07, 2017, 03:49:28 PM »
ASCAP is on Broadway in New York City.

UrbanHitzRadio

• View Profile
    • .::((Urban Hitz Radio™))::.WHERE R&B and HIP HOP CONNECT ...24/7!
« Reply #183 on: August 07, 2017, 04:19:07 PM »
While I may agree with SL's position, I cannot agree with how they went about confronting ASCAP.

SL admits that the "overcharge" was the result of a defect in SL's own reporting software.  The prudent way to go about recovering overpayments due to YOUR OWN ERRORS would be to conduct the audit and then submit the results to ASCAP, not to unilaterally stop paying them.  This is akin to poking the bear.  As a businessperson, I would probably have reacted in the exact same manner that ASCAP did.

With all that said, I have removed all ASCAP music (not much there, as we primarily play independent unsigned artists who have not registered with any PRO) until this unsavory matter has been resolved.

If this is what happened, this was a very unpeofessional child-like way to  attempt to resolve an issue. I deal with this type of BS from idiotic customers at my day job.
You don't just stop paying the bill. Stay current, or cancel said service until you get the desired resolution.
This has me concerned because ASCAP says they have not been paid for 8 months. And this is true, if SL stopped paying. ASCAP definitely has not been paid, on-time and upfront.
Regardless of an overpayment. It would have all come back with a legal investigation and audit of their books, etc.
Now I have ASCAP at my door demanding a membership.

This is not kindergarten here. We should have have to be drug into a battle between ASCAP and StreamLicensing. None of this happend when Marvin ran the joint!

We all know the history of the RIAA, but  if information has come out stating that the bill was not justly paid because of an overpayment of funds, then I can't say that I can't believe ascap. Look at what they say below... SL isn't going to get another ASCAP license...probably. They don't have to issue one.

It doesn't take more than 30 days with a fully qualified team that is engaged and experienced to run an excel audit!
The bill wasn't current for 8 months - supposedly. That's a long time and plenty of payments from people like you and me being paid and the money not going where it needed to go.

Despite claiming it's conducting an "internal audit," Streamlicensing has not furnished ASCAP with any information concerning its metric tracking, reporting or fee calculations or made any proposals.

Streamlicensing has not responded to any of ASCAP's numerous communications about its breach nor engaged ASCAP in discussions regarding a resolution.

As a result of its failure to pay fees, ASCAP does not anticipate issuing - nor is it obligated to issue - a new license to Streamlicensing.

What I want to know is why SL has not contacted these people.  >:(

It doesn't make sense if someone at ASCAP is working with SL and someone else over there is just sending out demad orders. Apparently ASCAP is aware of all communications that are being sent from SL to all of us!
They can sue SL and each and everyone of us as co-conspiritors.

All I know is that someone is lying and we the uers are in the middle of it all.

I'm just disappointed, that I keep running into these unprofessional situations!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:01:15 PM by UrbanHitzRadio »

the_grand

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »
UrbanHitz, I totally agree with your comments. I am also a long-time business person and I am extremely disappointed with how this situation has apparently been handled by SL.

I would like to see SL get their overpayment back, but what you and I and the others here really care about is staying on the air and playing our music. SL seems to have screwed that up for us in their zeal to recover the overpayment - an overpayment that they caused themselves.

Somebody here is lying. I don't really care who that is. I want SL to do whatever it takes to make this right and get reinstated with ASCAP.

Otherwise, after this situation and what happened with LoudCity, I'm afraid I'm done with broadcasting, because I don't want legal problems and I don't want to deal directly with PROs.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:00:12 PM by the_grand »

SpectroRadio

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2017, 08:18:27 PM »
We're all in the same unfortunate boat trying to figure out the best and legal way forward as we're caught between these two organizations BUT...

The frustration i have is that everyone keeps saying that ASCAP is lying. However as I see it indeed the only organization that has been up front, timely, and forthcoming with information, is ASCAP.

To be sure, SL continues to misleadingly display the ASCAP Licensed logo on its page despite the fact that their license has been terminated for several weeks.

By its own admission, SL knew it had an issue 8 MONTHS AGO yet continued to accept payment from us, and withhold that payment from ASCAP without even bothering to notify us, its customers, that there was an issue. Not so much as an email letting us know their was a dispute that was being worked on.

In contrast, the only way we even know about this issue is because ASCAP brought it to light. Moreover they offered us a grace period that they did not have to. And they continue to offer us a discount to sign up. Further, they have answered all my questions quickly, clearly, fully, and in writing.

I can't say the same for StreamLicensing, and that's a shame.

BullsEyeRadio

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2017, 09:20:17 PM »

The frustration i have is that everyone keeps saying that ASCAP is lying. However as I see it indeed the only organization that has been up front, timely, and forthcoming with information, is ASCAP.

In contrast, the only way we even know about this issue is because ASCAP brought it to light. Moreover they offered us a grace period that they did not have to. And they continue to offer us a discount to sign up. Further, they have answered all my questions quickly, clearly, fully, and in writing.

I can't say the same for StreamLicensing, and that's a shame.

That SpectroRadio is PRECISELY why I have left SL and have gone to Live365 !! The price is just about double what I was paying but there are no hidden agenda's and they are very quick to answer questions.

My offer stands to those that are considering closing their stations :
Anyone who wants to continue broadcasting a live show, if your shutting down your station, drop me a line at : johnmichaels@bullseyeradio.com
We got a spot for you to do a show if your an Oldies ( 40s to the 80s ) DJ !
Thanks !
John

oldjoe

• View Profile
    • The Houston Rock Pile
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2017, 08:55:29 AM »
I would think that since you left StreamLicensing you are no longer entitled to an opinion in this forum.

oldjoe

BullsEyeRadio

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 09, 2017, 09:00:15 AM »
No offense but under the 1st amendment, I am entitled to an opinion anytime I want to.

oldjoe

• View Profile
    • The Houston Rock Pile
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2017, 09:03:07 AM »
Your opinions are yours. This forum is for SL customers.
no offense.

BiglooRadio

• View Profile
    • Classic Rock 109
« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2017, 02:06:30 PM »
It is sad an unfortunate that all this happened. A lot of speculation and finger pointing. A many have mentioned, we small broadcasters/hobbyists are caught in the middle. My biggest gripe right now is why didn't SL tell us 7 or 8 months ago when all this happened. This way, when ASCAP contacted us, we'd be better prepared knowing this day would come. It's just very disappointing to see how things have turned out.

Now, we get a message that they consummated a deal with buy an AM station. I am still at a loss on how an AM station helps us. It lowers our rates? OK... so then now do we have to stream from the WKTF web page instead of SL? How are we to be associated with an AM station instead of SL? Maybe I'm getting old in age, but I just don't get it.
Lou
Classic Rock 109, Real Music. Real Classic Rock!