Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: MP3 File Tagging Readdressed - IMPORTANT  (Read 192 times)

wsimkins

• Staff Member
  • Administrator
  • Streaming Pioneer
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
MP3 File Tagging Readdressed - IMPORTANT
« on: April 27, 2017, 09:05:22 AM »
With the new CRB rulings and the mandatory performance fees from SoundExchange we have developed a method for you to tell our system that certain files are not copyrighted material such as Jingles, Liners, Promos, Station ID's, Talk Programming, Sermons, PSA's, Ad Trigger Files and so on. This procedure has become mandatory in 2017 for your licensing coverage to continue.

Your encoder should be transmitting the required Meta Fields that are Artist, Title and Album. Most automation systems do this by default but you may need to check the users guide for your system to make sure it does and if not you will have to change it to send the ALBUM tag.

Your Station ID might look something like this:

Title - 985 The Boom Sweeper
Artist - 985 The Boom
Album - ****

This is easily done in MP3 tag and below is a sample of how to do it. The **** (no spaces before or after) tells our system to ignore the file playing and it doesn't count against your ATH or Performances. In most cases this can reduce the related items by 15%-20% saving you money with the reduced ATH.

Look here for the example:

http://www.streamlicensing.com/xstream/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=72

MP3 Tag is a free program available here: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Should you have any questions we are here to help you. Please remember that we only support the StreamLicensing end of things not your automation system or encoder. Help for those items should be directed to the software provider or your users guide.
Wes Simkins
Chief Operating Officer
StreamLicensing Networks LLC

TheDrunkenScoundrel

• View Profile
Re: MP3 File Tagging Readdressed - IMPORTANT
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 03:29:00 AM »
I run on a cloud DJ-does this mean I have to delete, re-tag, and re-upload my entire catalog to make sure the album title shows?
Is there a date by which this has to be done?
I don't even have Internet at my apartment and my library is far larger than my monthly data cap on my cell service. :-[

mrbill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 07:24:21 AM »
What Wes is talking about is non-music files - files for which you don't have to report listener counts to Sound Exchange.  As he mentioned, this would be station ID's, liners, promos, etc.  So, you only have to redo those files.  Your music files should already be tagged with artist, album and song information (this has been a requirement for reporting purposes for many years).  If your music files are not tagged, you need to get those done as soon as possible.  As for the non-music files, the sooner you get those done the better for you as it will lower your ATH.

solidrockradio

• View Profile
    • Solid Rock Radio
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 08:18:41 PM »
thanks for the update! I had been planning to double check everything anyway. Will get on ASAP.
Building Your House On The Solid Rock Of Jesus Christ!
www.solidrockradio.org

TheDrunkenScoundrel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 01:54:56 AM »
What Wes is talking about is non-music files - files for which you don't have to report listener counts to Sound Exchange.  As he mentioned, this would be station ID's, liners, promos, etc.  So, you only have to redo those files.  Your music files should already be tagged with artist, album and song information (this has been a requirement for reporting purposes for many years).  If your music files are not tagged, you need to get those done as soon as possible.  As for the non-music files, the sooner you get those done the better for you as it will lower your ATH.
Thanks for that clarification. I misread it as a change to tagging as a whole....the thought of manually having to check thousands of tracks and then fix them by hand almost gave me a stroke...I've been working ridiculous hours so my reading comprehension was sub-par that night.
Thanks for the update and the new tool.