Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Some Observations  (Read 422 times)

worldfusionradio.com

• View Profile
Some Observations
« on: October 03, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »
I am distressed to hear Webcasters say they are quitting or are otherwise panicked into considering quitting. Please don't.

First, who the frell am I? I worked in terrestrial radio for years before I founded WorldFusionRadio.com in 2003. We are a niche station that's never had a huge audience and never will, but I have been through the Internet radio wars for 14 years and I have some observations to share with you all about this ASCAP nonsense.

Look, I understand why so many of you have had misgivings and even panicked at ASCAP's nasty letters. But I also understand the war and what it is all about. This may seem like a crisis but this latest kerfuffle is nothing compared to 2002, 2007, 2010, and 2015. Each of those years were going to be "the end of Internet radio." It wasn't, even though those threats were real. This is not. This is just one of the PROs trying to scam you because they are in financial trouble. The PROs have been trying to intimidate us for years. The only surprise to me was that it was ASCAP doing the threatening this time - usually it is SoundExchange. The PROs want to scare you to trick you into either paying two or three times what you should or to give up Webcasting altogether.

Don't fall for it.

Many of you wonder who to believe - ASCAP or Anthony Hernandez. No question in my mind who I believe and it isn't ASCAP. StreamLicensing is doing the right thing and I applaud them for their actions.

I have also noticed that most of the negative and panicky comments on this forum are based on things people have read on the Facebook "Internet Radio Broadcasters" group. STOP. Please stop. Most of the "information" posted on the Facebook "Internet Radio Broadcasters" group is worthless. Worse, there are several people active on that group who are deliberately spreading false information trying to convince Internet radio Webcasters to quit and others are spreading false information to try to get Webcasters to switch to a certain corporation that wants to exploit you (hint - they aren't as new and different as they claim to be). The sooner you stop reading what's posted in that Facebook group, the better off you will be. If you want real information about what is going on in Internet radio, try http://rainnews.com - they will not lie to you or try to sell you something.

I have never for a second considered quitting Webcasting because of ASCAP's dishonest scare tactics and I hope you won't quit either. The sky is not falling, the world is not ending, Internet radio will not be silenced, and ASCAP is not going to haul you into court. Like I say, I've been through this all before and this is nothing.  :)

the_grand

• View Profile
Re: Some Observations
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 04:50:44 AM »
You could be right, but the fact is that we became SL customers so we could operate legally with licenses in place.

If SL gets its ASCAP and BMI licenses cancelled and three months later we still don't know how they're going to fix that, then what are we doing??

If I wanted to operate without a license, I didn't need SL to begin with.

worldfusionradio.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 01:33:16 PM »
There is absolutely no reason you should believe ASCAP or the doomsayers. As I say, this is nothing but a ploy to get money out of you. You are legal, as am I and everyone with StreamLicensing.

elvise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »
Worldfusion,

Yes, that was a shady ploy to get money by ASCAP. 

But, if you think Streamlicensing is legal at this point with both ASCAP and BMI saying the contracts with them were terminated months ago, then you are drinking the Koolaid, my friend.

CharlieF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 06:37:05 PM »
Koolaid? Something is rotten in Denmark. According to my streaming provider, I had 756 U.S. listening hours last month. According to SL? 42. I hope to be moved off of SL by the end of the month, Nov 30th the latest.

elvise

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 08:04:39 AM »
“Drinking the Koolaid”— it’s a term that was probably coined in 1978 when Jim Jones had his cult in Guyana blindly follow their leader and drink poisoned Koolaid and kill themselves.

CharlieF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 07:14:02 PM »
I know what drinking the Koolaid means. Thanks!

elvise

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 08:06:09 PM »
You had the question mark following it in your comment. So, I was assuming you hadn’t heard that term before. Sorry if I offended you.

worldfusionradio.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 09:51:05 AM »
Yes, Streamlicensing is legal.

No, you shouldn't be comparing me to a mass murderer.

the_grand

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 05:15:17 PM »
"Yes, Streamlicensing is legal"

All right then, how is it actually legal if the ASCAP and BMI licenses have been cancelled?

UrbanHitzRadio

• View Profile
    • .::((Urban Hitz Radio™))::.WHERE R&B and HIP HOP CONNECT ...24/7!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 04:44:48 AM »
WoW! I've received no other emails from ASCAP since the name change to O2 Webcasting. When did BMI chime in and say their affiliation was no longer being honored?

I'm not sure what is going on in denmark or if the koolaid is even fresh anymore. If SL was legal and had all their ducks in order, why the name change? You sure they aren't running away from old  responsibilities? They still have no other do main name? AFAIK, it is still streamlicensing.com, being directed to a website listed as O2 webcasting. That is unprofessional at best!
If I want to operate rogue, I sure as heck can do it without all of this. Get it together!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:47:25 AM by UrbanHitzRadio »