Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Licensing not paid?  (Read 16712 times)

BullsEyeRadio

• View Profile
Re: Licensing not paid?
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2017, 04:50:04 PM »
I am still perplexed as to how ASCAP obtained my email, and more importantly my mailing address.

Did SL give it to them?  If so, then WHY?

Actually , all they have to do, is do a WHOIS on the domain name and all the contact emails are listed right there , among all kinds of other infor.

CharlieF

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2017, 07:10:59 PM »
You can buy a secure domain and remain anonymous, yes such an email may get to you, but if you buy a secure domain your personal information is not displayed in a whois.

solidrockradio

• View Profile
    • Solid Rock Radio
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2017, 07:15:40 PM »
You can buy a secure domain and remain anonymous, yes such an email may get to you, but if you buy a secure domain your personal information is not displayed in a whois.

they can still subpoena that information and get it from the registrar.
Building Your House On The Solid Rock Of Jesus Christ!
www.solidrockradio.org

transistoroldies

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
I'm kind of amazed we've heard nothing yet.  There's only 17 days left until the so-called grace period ends.  Then what?  We don't only need answers from SL but we also need guidance. :-\

#i99MusicRadio

• View Profile
    • http://i99Radio.com/
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2017, 03:58:30 PM »
Just wanted to point something out that someone said on Facebook.

None of our personal websites (if you're  compliant) is actually streaming music. It's all through StreamLicensing. They would technically get the legal notices & court orders, because everyone listening is doing so through the StreamLicensing website.

Just thought I'd point that out there but you guys are right, it does suck not hearing anything new yet from SL.
#i99MusicRadio
The Alternative Music You Request!

transistoroldies

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2017, 04:33:16 PM »
Just wanted to point something out that someone said on Facebook.

None of our personal websites (if you're  compliant) is actually streaming music. It's all through StreamLicensing. They would technically get the legal notices & court orders, because everyone listening is doing so through the StreamLicensing website.

Just thought I'd point that out there but you guys are right, it does suck not hearing anything new yet from SL.

Good point, but then why are they emailing us directly?

CharlieF

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2017, 06:35:20 PM »
I think the reason we haven't heard anything is there is nothing to tell at this point. I'm sure this is affecting their business, costing them money and this situation is as unpleasant for them as it is for us. I think we all need to have backup plans this dispute could go right down to the wire. I can say I needed support from SL and Oi2 and got prompt response and service which is a good sign.

BigFrank

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »
Not to mention, I have not one, not two, but three stations on SL.  Do ya think if I ask ASCAP nicely, they will let me license them all for the $200?!?  Doubtful.

I have two stations and both received the same info. Regardless of the costs, I will continue broadcasting until they pry my microphone from my cold, dead hands.

i'm a product of the 60's. "Screw the man."  lol

Cheers,

Big Frank

CharlieF

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2017, 08:59:40 AM »
I would strongly caution against speculation. Unsure? Reach out to ASCAP and ask the question, it can't hurt. At this point we need information so we can make informed decisions. I won't be angry if the answer is that we are on our own for now with ASCAP licensing but soon we are going to need at least enough information to make decisions.

BigFrank

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »
I hear you BigFrank.  But, I'll bet you they will ask you for $200 per station to keep licensed with ASCAP for the next year. I hope I'm wrong.

Of course they will. That's why both of my stations got a letter, separately  lol

Are you prepared to pay that?

I have never seen an instance in my entire life where the term, "Pay to play,' has any greater validity. Do I want to pay it? No. Will I pay it? If that's what it takes to live my life by my on dictates, of course. I'm not one for having others squash my way of life, especially over 54¢ a day, or $1.08 in my case. Seriously? Not in this lifetime.

I'm not.

I understand. Everyone has to personally evaluate how much broadcasting means to them. We all have different priorities in life and financial resources. That said, the fee is not onerous and you're either going to pay it to ASCAP or SL, so what's the difference? It's not as if the fee will be on top of any SL fees which I would imagine would be reduced, accordingly. Sure the 'lump sum payment' is a bummer, but they have said that by next year they will be instituting a monthly payment arrangement.

Yes - this whole thing sucks, but it's not a life changing event unless you make it one. Additionally, I have every expectation that this will be amicably resolved by the end of the month.

I am the eternal optimist.  :-)

Cheers,

Frank

oldjoe

• View Profile
    • The Houston Rock Pile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2017, 02:23:25 PM »
 Darling you got to let me know / Should I stay or should I go? / If you say that you are mine / I'll be here 'til the end of time…

rockon365

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2017, 03:21:13 PM »
Has anyone seen a press release from ASCAP about this?

My concern is the major outlets have not released anything. Considering the amount of money involved it should be news worthy.

If you look at the big picture ASCAP may think we should pay for the pirates. They look for an easy way out of policing the Internet.

Also, if you carefully read the ASCAP form it tells you the rate will increase next year. They did not write a disclaimer to cover increases  but mention the amount in passing.

Most business people would not sign an open ended contract. I see no way to terminate the contract. BTW that is something you need to think about.

All they have up is a form with little information or terms available for you to see!

What keeps them from terminating you once you pay them?

I've never gone into a binding agreement without knowing the terms. ASCAP has failed to provide those terms.

CharlieF

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2017, 03:35:26 PM »
Some interesting stuff has come out on Facebook. I suspect we should be getting some email soon.

oldjoe

• View Profile
    • The Houston Rock Pile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2017, 05:17:49 AM »
I want to thank Stream Licensing for the email dated July 17, 2017 in which Streaming Licensing explained their position. I fully back their position. Stream Licensing has ALWAYS been truthful to me (this oldjoe speaking only for oldjoe). I now intend to ride this problem out. As you know, Marvin has an excellent reputation within the Broadcast community I do not know anyone from the opposition camp so I will align myself with people that I know and trust.         Please do not throw any tomatoes or eggs at the screen as you read this.       oldjoe (we're not getting better we're getting older) is that how that commercial goes ????         

BiglooRadio

• View Profile
    • Classic Rock 109
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2017, 05:51:34 AM »
I appreciate the email received... not sure on something... whats am FM signal got to do with us (maybe I'm missing something in all that).

So now the question remains... what happens if things aren't rectified by July 31? After all that is in less than 2 weeks. The "deal" from ASCAP goes off the table on Aug. 1, so where would that leave us?
Lou
Classic Rock 109, Real Music. Real Classic Rock!