Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: When to Kick or Ban...?  (Read 2901 times)

TheDrunkenScoundrel

• View Profile
When to Kick or Ban...?
« on: August 04, 2016, 02:21:31 AM »
Hey Guys,
I am new to having detailed analytics.
I know from previous experience, that listeners who login and listen for extremely long periods aren't always Bots.
I have, in the past, listened to a station non-stop for a long time.
Those with much more experience might have a better feel for this:
What are the red-flags or thresholds were you actively seek to get listeners of your server/station?
Any thoughts or advice?

mrbill

• View Profile
Re: When to Kick or Ban...?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 11:04:14 AM »
I check my listener statistics for the previous day every morning.  If I have a listener who has been connected for close to a day, I kick their IP address.  This can happen for a variety of reasons having nothing to do with a listener.  I haven't yet personally run into a situation where a particular IP address continually comes up as a problem.

One thing to keep in mind - your Sound Exchange royalties are based on U.S. Listeners, not foreign listeners, so you can be a bit more lenient with people listening outside the U.S.

acostivalt

• We want real radio!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 12:29:32 PM »
I have my streaming server set to kick them automatically after 6 hours. This way I don't accumulate ATH from people that mute and minimize their player.

wsimkins

• Streaming Guru
  • Administrator
  • Streaming Pioneer
    • View Profile
    • ProStreaming
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 12:51:30 PM »
I have my streaming server set to kick them automatically after 6 hours. This way I don't accumulate ATH from people that mute and minimize their player.

That's a good plan! I have been telling people they should do that for years.
Wes

TheDrunkenScoundrel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 12:31:05 AM »
Thanks,

Can I set that via Centova?

roosterradio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:58:04 AM »
If it is implemented properly, you can use the advanced tab to set the number of minuted before kicking a user.  It has worked with some but not all Centovacast implementations that I have used in the past.

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 11:40:24 AM »
Better yet, I have used RIP for years now, I set it for whatever time period I want, and can also set in the text files which applications that I want banned.

TheDrunkenScoundrel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »
Of course, since I posted this? No rippers.
I restarted my autoDJ a couple of times when I had only long-time listeners and that seems to have given them the hint.
I try to be careful as some of my early listeners (non-rippers) would listen all day.
Thanks for the advice.

Gorby

• View Profile
    • Atlantic Oldies 2NG
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 06:51:07 AM »
Most modern day rippers use the "agent" of valid Winamp or other players. You likely wouldn't know if you're being ripped. Some will literally come in for an hour or so and then vanish. As many slice and dice songs based on metadata I've often delayed metadata by a random 10-40 secs after song start. Reports as it should but gives the end user an incomplete file!

What is interesting is the US demand metadata yet the UK PRO's discourage metadata for this very reason. :-)

I have the Icecast/Shoutcast servers to kick after 360 minutes (6 hours) however some players naturally reconnect but not many.

I've stopped worrying about chasing them, life has enough problems!

Richard.
Atlantic Oldies 2NG - Greatest Hits from Both Sides of the Atlantic
Makes the Mid Life Crisis go away!

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 09:42:22 AM »
Most modern day rippers use the "agent" of valid Winamp or other players. You likely wouldn't know if you're being ripped. Some will literally come in for an hour or so and then vanish. As many slice and dice songs based on metadata I've often delayed metadata by a random 10-40 secs after song start. Reports as it should but gives the end user an incomplete file!

What is interesting is the US demand metadata yet the UK PRO's discourage metadata for this very reason. :-)

I have the Icecast/Shoutcast servers to kick after 360 minutes (6 hours) however some players naturally reconnect but not many.

I've stopped worrying about chasing them, life has enough problems!

Richard.

Exactly Richard.
I just use RIP to control how much time they spend listening. As far as rippers go though, I like you gave up on them a long time ago.