Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Music Subscription Services and Royalties  (Read 4006 times)

ChuckGarrett

• View Profile
Music Subscription Services and Royalties
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:40:19 AM »
Hi all-
New to the board here and new to streaming.  I'm in the process of setting my facilities up and a few questions have come to mind.

1)  I was subscribed to a professional music service for broadcast stations called CDX.  FreeDB recognizes tracks listed on their "albums" (i.e. "CDX vol. 138" is listed in the Album line).  Are these acceptable to DMCA rules for streaming or would I need to dig and insert the actual artist album on which the song was released?  It seems to me that if they're listed in FreeDB, the royalties would be allocated appropriately.

2)  What metadata is REQUIRED to be sent with the stream?  I've read mixed answers and 99% of the time the display on a player will only list the name of the song and the artist.  Is album info required?

3)  Is there a certain order the metadata should be sent?  Song - Artist or Artist - Song?

Thanks for the advice!
Chuck Garrett
Keeping old radio alive with new technology!

icastcenter

• StreamLicensing Preferred Provider
    • View Profile
    • iCastCenter.com
Re: Music Subscription Services and Royalties
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 07:36:28 PM »
For the purposes of licensing with StreamLicensing, all that is required is that your metadata be presented in "Artist - Title" format. You don't need to worry about album data beyond that.
Brandon Wade
Owner, iCastCenter.com - StreamLicensing Preferred Provider
http://www.icastcenter.com

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 04:04:39 AM »
Brandon's answer is correct. The law requires the reports include Album but that requirement is presently waived. I recommend including the album info when you have it so it will already be in your database should it ever be required.

The album name from a free database is there because someone has inserted it and it may or may not be correct, but it is probably going to be correct most of the time. As far as using CDX volume numbers if that is all you have I would think it is better than nothing, but I don't have a definitive answer on that. Since it is presently a moot issue I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The format that should be displaying in your metadata is Artist - Song Title - Album (album when available).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:07:09 AM by admin »
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com

ChuckGarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »
What's the story on using public domain music?  For example, I have several OTR shows that I like to air occasionally that came from Public Domain (National Archives). 
Chuck Garrett
Keeping old radio alive with new technology!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 03:35:32 PM »
If you are absolutely sure that it is 100% public domain (both music and artists) you should have no problem with airing it. Our system is going to turn in whatever the metadata says while airing it and if no one at the PRO's has any claims on it they will just toss it.

An important note, though. Dramatic presentations are NOT covered by StreamLicensing (and aren't under any standard Internet radio agreements even if licensing directly with the PRO's.) Using a dramatic presentation that is not public domain would require separate licensing arrangements.
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com