Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Webcast Reporting Rules  (Read 4368 times)

1290 GLI

• View Profile
Webcast Reporting Rules
« on: June 25, 2014, 11:53:17 AM »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
Re: Webcast Reporting Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:51:41 AM »
It is certainly going to add one more bit of information for each song played. Actually most of what is suggested is required now, but for whatever reason (probably the fact the the info just isn't available for much of what is played, and some software doesn't have the ability to provide it at this point) the requirements are not enforced.
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com

1290 GLI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 07:57:54 PM »
Thanks Marvin. Well... I tried finding the ISRC numbers for some of the stuff I'm playing. While it's easy for Lady Gaga where do you find this information for a 1950's vintage recording like Little Star by the Elegants? The answer seems to be you can't. I can't find a decent database and that's a problem. As a station playing oldies a good part of the music I play came from my own collection of 45's, 33's, cassettes and a couple of commercial reel to reel tapes. I also checked with a musician friend of mine and he said some of his recordings have ISRC numbers but many do not. Recordings move from label to label, not everything has an ISRC number, etc. and the only thing that seems to be consistant is artist and song title. And you're right. To include the additioinal information on my system it would have to be placed in the artist/song title field which has a limited amount of characters. I have some songs with titles so long that they just make it without truncating. I assume any additional information would go after the song title. Also it would take years to add to the additional information to my music library. I'm only a one man operation and can't devote 100% of my time to the project. I guess we'll have wait and see what happens.

Jerry

1290 GLI

AltaredLives

• Gospel Hip Hop and Rhythm-n-Gospel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 07:48:14 PM »
I clicked thru to the original article by Oxenford and saw this:

A requirement that services use the ISRC codes for all recordings for which such codes are available – the unique code assigned to each song by various record and digital distribution companies

If there are no ISRC codes, that statement indicates that such codes won't be required. It reads "...for all recordings for which such codes are available."

But my question is, "What the heck is an ISRC code?"

Additionally, since the quote states something about it being a code that "record and digital distribution companies" assign, I believe such codes are non-existent for the majority of music that some of us feature, because (a)people are recording music in their own homes (translation: no record company to assign a code) and, (b) people are handing out CDRs/sending links to music hosted on free download sites (translation: there is no distribution company involved).

So that particular ruling won't affect a vast majority of music released by independent artists who are not on any labels, and who have no"distribution deals."

But this is the proposed requirement that concerns me:

A requirement that each service require any vendors who provide it with streaming or reporting services to provide detailed access to their systems and practices to SoundExchange in connection with an audit of a particular service

It seems to me that "that" could lead to compromise of proprietary information or intellectual property? That doesn't sound like something they should have a right to, and that should raise more red flags than the ISRC code.

To comment, I guess you have to present your concerns properly via a lawyer or legalspeak?

1290 GLI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 11:20:42 AM »
ISRC stands for International Standard Recording Code. It's a unique number assigned to a recording to identify it. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Standard_Recording_Code
My concern with ISRC numbers is that as older recordings are re released in digital format are they assigned an ISRC? Also, the musician I checked with is an independant artist and does have ISRC's assigned to some of his recordings. Some independant artists do have distribution deals ( like CD Baby? ) so you do need to be aware of this.

Jerry   1290 GLI

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 06:48:34 AM »
Yeah some of them are not.
But here's the kicker. There is a website that buys old cd's, and you have to put in the isrc code to be able to find out what the cd is worth.
I've put in some before of my older cd's, and it didn't come up with anything.

That isrc thing has been around for a while now, but it has never been enforced. Probably because of the reason I just stated above.
I wouldn't worry about it, there's no way they can enforce such a horrible system as that.

AltaredLives

• Gospel Hip Hop and Rhythm-n-Gospel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 06:16:39 AM »
That sets my mind at ease, Trip.  :D