Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Copyright Law Changes for 2015 and 2016  (Read 22120 times)

Trip

• View Profile
Re: Copyright Law Changes for 2015 and 2016
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 05:35:36 AM »
Will 2016 still signify the death of microcasters?

Well Donna,
It sure looks that way. It's definitely a nail biter.
From what I've been seeing around, it seems like everything is starting to point to pay for play.
Don't think most of us will survive without going pro.

BTW, How the heck are you?

Trip

AltaredLives

• Gospel Hip Hop and Rhythm-n-Gospel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 06:46:48 PM »
Hey, Trip! I'm still just hanging around.  ;) It's been over a year since I let the station go. I miss having it in some ways; in other ways, I don't!  :o I miss meeting all the nice people (artists & listeners), though, for sure.

I guess everyone is waiting until 2016 for all the pieces fall into place (or this whole thing to fall apart?) as far as webcasting goes -- apparently. It's a shame.

Guido

• http://www.v103.net
    • View Profile
    • v103Rock
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 07:28:28 PM »
You can follow this page on Facebook which Marvin does reply on. https://www.facebook.com/groups/internetradiobroadcasting/

v103Rock - www.v103.net

Animal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 10:22:40 PM »
Looks like after next week, the only way to be a small webcaster will be either to;

Go pro

Be rich

Move the stream out of the US

Start charging listener fees

Switch to satellite

Go pirate

Capt_Avatar

• View Profile
    • KONA Stream
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 09:20:45 PM »
So is this how it ends for my 9 plus years of broadcasting? Do we all go out with a whimper instead of a bang?

I looked at Radionomy but I simply cannot operate a station with only 5,000 tracks. I'll probably shut down the encoders, hook up a Talking House transmitter and broadcast to my neighbors.  :(
KONA Stream - Classic Hits : 60s 70s 80s & More! Where old memories are found and new ones are made.

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 10:09:38 AM »
So is this how it ends for my 9 plus years of broadcasting? Do we all go out with a whimper instead of a bang?

I looked at Radionomy but I simply cannot operate a station with only 5,000 tracks. I'll probably shut down the encoders, hook up a Talking House transmitter and broadcast to my neighbors.  :(

Looks that way. Hey, I have 19 years in this, so I'm a bit upset. But hey, maybe not too much. Really getting tired of all the crap the CRB puts us through, so maybe it's a good thing for me.

I also am just going to set up my broadcaster, but I'm going to do it with a private mode and listen to it on my Grace Digital Box.

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »
Hey, Trip! I'm still just hanging around.  ;) It's been over a year since I let the station go. I miss having it in some ways; in other ways, I don't!  :o I miss meeting all the nice people (artists & listeners), though, for sure.

I guess everyone is waiting until 2016 for all the pieces fall into place (or this whole thing to fall apart?) as far as webcasting goes -- apparently. It's a shame.

Donna,
I think you got out of the rat race at the right time.

1290 GLI

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 01:16:04 PM »
I'm small enough that I may try to make a go of it if Marvin sticks around.
I'm also ready to do something.

Happy New Year.

Jerry   12909 GLI

AltaredLives

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 07:53:36 PM »
Donna,

I was listening to a Christian rap station on L365 the other day and really enjoyed it. It made me miss the days of webcasting, where I was able to provide such a service for listeners.

LC and SL made it possible for so many to be a blessing to listeners. I hope SL can survive, even if I am unable to come back to the game. I was a pro broadcaster on L365 for a few years before LC and SL, but it was too expensive. :( SESAC was the thorn in the flesh back then -- the other licensing agencies were affordable. SESAC's fee was downright ridiculous.

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 02:13:17 PM »
Donna,

I was listening to a Christian rap station on L365 the other day and really enjoyed it. It made me miss the days of webcasting, where I was able to provide such a service for listeners.

LC and SL made it possible for so many to be a blessing to listeners. I hope SL can survive, even if I am unable to come back to the game. I was a pro broadcaster on L365 for a few years before LC and SL, but it was too expensive. :( SESAC was the thorn in the flesh back then -- the other licensing agencies were affordable. SESAC's fee was downright ridiculous.

Yeah Donna, I miss the old days of LC. SL has done a bang up job, and all the cudo's in the world to Marvin for taking over for LC. I just don't think any of the smalls are going to survive though.
Live365 says you have to go pro or go home, but haven't even contacted anyone to switch over yet, and with a week, it looks pretty grim to me. Heck you can't even get anyone on the phone, let alone them sending out an email.

Oh well, I knew it was coming eventually, and looks like eventually is finally here.

Trip

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2015, 12:19:58 PM »
Hey whats up with Marvins signup page. It has all info, but when you click, it gives an error page.
Is that limit of 7000 hours a vision of what's coming?

AltaredLives

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2015, 05:39:16 PM »
Since I've been out of the game for awhile, I found the following article on RAIN's site somewhat informative. It filled in a few gaps for me as to what you guys are talking about.

http://rainnews.com/mid-size-and-small-webcaster-reaction-to-new-crb-rates/

But I recall when we microcasters were part of the "voice" of small webcasters. But we were initially left out in the cold from the benefits w/ the "Accuradio" bunch, and had to scramble after that "bunch" got their deal to get our voices heard in Congress.

Some of the comment in that thread are very sensible. Maybe there is 1 or two microcasters who are financially able to file a class action lawsuit, and the rest of you just become part of the class action?

eagleone

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 06:24:02 AM »
I will be going on 6 years soon doing internet radio. Been keeping tabs on these license changes very closely. I have heard many comments from a host of individuals wondering about starting their own 501c3 not for profit. This seems appropriate to post some comments on that here. Some of these comments fit many private organizations and clubs, but may not be relevant in some cases - religious organizations may have some exceptions. I have the tax codes right here in front of me, (wife was a CFO for a large company, so had her dig up the code for me). So here are some of the highlights, and may or may not fit your exact State laws, and I did not take into account the exceptions to the IRS rules.

Now keep in mind, each STATE has it's own set of statutes that co-exist with the IRS rules for 501c3.

1. Are you willing to go through the legal ramifications of creating a full and binding Charter of Operation for your state and the IRS?

2. Are you willing to form and maintain a Board of Directors?

3. You must maintain a "membership list" of all individuals who you are serving. This is mandatory... This must be real names and contact info for all members you are serving. And it is NOT an option to opt out, it takes an act of god to not have a name on that list. The IRS can ask for this info at any time, to determine if you are properly serving your clients with the donations or fees that are collected.

4. Are you willing to maintain 100% accurate set of books on all income/loss.

5. What are you going to do with the money received? You must prove that something of value is being returned to your members. As in: Did you use the money to mostly buy more music? (which is what the membership wants). You cannot simply pocket that money to cover your operational costs.

6. Are you willing to be audited? Not for Profits are audited and the audits are very very thorough. I have been head on one 501c3, on the board of others, and this prospect is intimidating at best.

7. Are you willing to jump through the 'reporting' hoops for the 4 main
organizations? You still have to file all the reports, even though the monetary liability is lifted.

Just some random thoughts.... you may or may not find this post of any value... again depending on individual state laws that have code above and beyond IRS code.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 01:48:13 PM by eagleone »

greenyellowdawn

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2015, 01:49:41 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, this announcement from my library is still relative, it doesn't have any dead website links or dates, so for anyone who wishes to use it, go ahead.  I'm using it from time to time.  I got it from a US radio announcer’s website back in 2002. 

http://www.2prfm.com/files/Savenetradio.ogg

So just confirming, we can't hook up our SAM or RadioBoss to Radionomy?  I had a quick read of it, and couldn't find anything about the 5,000 track limit? 

EDIT:

Okay, since writing the above this morning, I've done some further digging on radionomy and they are complaints about stations being booted if they don't meet radionomy's terms and conditions.  Looks like I won't touch this site with a forty foot pole. 

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 03:19:02 PM by greenyellowdawn »
Celebrating the complete history of pop
From the 50s 60s 70s 80s and 90s.
http://www.2prfm.com

hymnjim

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2015, 09:27:46 AM »
I am still a little confused after reading about CRB decision on http://www.broadcastlawblog.com

It says this
There were no small commercial webcasters who litigated this proceeding – and thus there was no evidence from which the Judges could arrive at a small commercial webcaster rate.

I was wondering why small commercial broadcasters did not litigate on this. Were they not allowed in? Does the CRB consider microcasters small commercial webcasters or are we not even on their radar?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:31:23 AM by hymnjim »