Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Wanting feedback on new savenetradio.info campaign  (Read 8407 times)

greenyellowdawn

• View Profile
Wanting feedback on new savenetradio.info campaign
« on: December 28, 2015, 05:29:56 AM »
I've just published a website (please note this is only a first draft) of the general situation of small independent internet radio stations, and the current licensing royalty increases that are being proposed.

I would like to initiate a campaign similar to that of the one that was done back in the twenty norties, however I'm please asking of two things.

1:) Would appreciate feedback on the page I currently have up at savenetradio.info.  If somebody wishes to rewrite the entire text, I'm welcome to such, and can be sent revisions at radio2prfm (at) optusnet.com.au.

2:) I would welcome any suggestions or scripts on a radio campaign.  I'm willing to get a few announcements made at the production House I use in Melbourne to support this cause.

I'm suspecting two well produced announcements with sounds and tracks should clock in around AU$100, which I'm willing to donate to the cause.

So now I leave it up to you guys......
Celebrating the complete history of pop
From the 50s 60s 70s 80s and 90s.
http://www.2prfm.com

AltaredLives

• Gospel Hip Hop and Rhythm-n-Gospel
    • View Profile
Re: Wanting feedback on new savenetradio.info campaign
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:44:33 PM »
Hi, greenyellowdawn.

I haven't webcasted in over a year, but I applaud your efforts to pull the current webcasting community together.

I'm wondering, however, if some of the links to info on your site might refer to the previous webcaster royalty rate battles.

Here is a link to more current information:

http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/2015/12/articles/crb-announces-webcasting-royalty-rates-for-2016-2020-lower-rates-for-broadcasters-who-stream-minimal-change-for-pureplay-webcasters/

People streaming via services like SL are (were) considered "microcasters," not "small webcasters."

The provisions for microcasters seems to be what have been eliminated for 2016 going forward -- provisions which allowed for royalties to be assessed as a percentage of revenues for the "smallest of the small webcasters" aka "microcasters."

The background for what was available through this year is here, which is not available going forward for microcasters:

http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/2009/03/articles/soundexchange-settlement-with-microcasters-a-royalty-option-for-the-very-small-webcaster/

The latter URL had links to two forms -- one for the "small webcaster" and one for the "microcaster," to elect to take part in the prearranged royalty stipulations and rates for each. Those two links now produce "404 Page Not Found" errors.

Anyway, it seems like it's more than an "uphill" battle at this point for microcasters. Compare it to an interplanetary battle now, w/ the microcaster having no spaceship to even enter into the battle.  :'(
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:52:21 PM by AltaredLives »

greenyellowdawn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 02:44:09 PM »
Thanks Altared for the feedback and for the thumbs up with this, much appreciated. :).

This now clarifies the position, as I was a little unsure what to write.  When writing the notes, there was a need to communicate the crux of the matter constructively, without sounding to alarmist.

As for my situation, my station is on the lowest tear of Streamlicensing, paying around US$25.00 a month. 

If I understand correctly, the email I got last night from Marvin, together with the royalty calculator that his email pointed to indicates my payments per month are going to increase by 110%.  My new monthly royalty payments for January are somewhere between US$45.00 to US50.00, and this is just for the interim period until the rates are finalised. 

On my income, this was no problem in the past, but now the new rates are getting worryingly higher.  As they stand, it's a wait and see how this will gel with the personal budget, when considering other costs such as web-hosting, streaming, and licensing outlays together as the whole picture.

January is going to be unknown territory like many other broadcasters, and a wait and see for February.  If the rates do go up exponentially, then I'm may have to call it a day after 16 years. 

With a terrestrial license submission hitting the wall in 2014, and now the web stream also facing a uncertain fate, the pressure of the big boys pushing us out is certainly being felt.   

I'll read through the stuff within the next few days, and see what revisions can be made.

AltaredLives

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 06:00:46 PM »
If I understand correctly... my payments per month are going to increase by 110%.

Oh my goodness!  :o That is outrageous. I knew it sounded bad from the comments others had made in previous weeks. But I had not seen the affects in tangible terms, until you stated what your payments would be.

That is simply evil.  >:(

greenyellowdawn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 12:36:34 AM »
Oh my goodness!  :o That is outrageous. I knew it sounded bad from the comments others had made in previous weeks. But I had not seen the affects in tangible terms, until you stated what your payments would be.

Yup, exactly, and this is only the interim period.  I can pay the US$50 for January and see how things pan out, but I'm very nervous about February onwards.

I've done a number of major revisions to the site, and am going to now get the word out on the spacial forums, I know many folks hangout there, so see how they take to it.

Again, thanks for your supportive words, I hope we can all pull through this.  Hopefully they might be a last minute reprieve.

Would you consider getting back into broadcasting again if things turn out for the better?  ...or are you through with it?  I guess I couldn't blame you with all the BS that's going on, it's a very uncertain environment. 

UPDATE: just got a new email from Marvin and done some fresh calculations.  My previous month royalty charge was US$23.50.  In January it will be US$58.50.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 02:36:07 AM by greenyellowdawn »

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 07:58:27 AM »
If I understand correctly... my payments per month are going to increase by 110%.

That is our Country and Gov. Donna.
Corporate Greed, Personal Greed, Entitlement. It's what this country is made of now.

See I told you, you were lucky you got out while you did.

greenyellowdawn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 02:44:52 PM »

Well, had to make the big decision last night, and I'll be shutting down within the next two weeks.  I've just made an announcement last night on the front page of my website.  I've just paid $58.50, and I suspect it's going to go upwards of US$150 a month.  I can't afford this anymore, so for me it's lights out I'm affraid. 

I just need to know one question - the money I paid Marvin last night - is that for January, or for December?  If this is for the past month, then I'll be shutting down tomorrow.  Can't imagine how much I'll be paying in January. :(

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 03:55:26 PM »

Well, had to make the big decision last night, and I'll be shutting down within the next two weeks.  I've just made an announcement last night on the front page of my website.  I've just paid $58.50, and I suspect it's going to go upwards of US$150 a month.  I can't afford this anymore, so for me it's lights out I'm affraid. 

I just need to know one question - the money I paid Marvin last night - is that for January, or for December?  If this is for the past month, then I'll be shutting down tomorrow.  Can't imagine how much I'll be paying in January. :(

From what I've read, I believe it's for next month. But I'd email Marvin and ask, and maybe you can get your money back.

I too am shutting down all my stations. This all has just gotten out of hand.

AltaredLives

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 04:38:53 PM »

Would you consider getting back into broadcasting again if things turn out for the better?  ...or are you through with it?  I guess I couldn't blame you with all the BS that's going on, it's a very uncertain environment. 

When I was working, my licensing fees were not a problem. But I had been out of work for almost a year at the time when I shut the station down. Still haven't found gainful employment. So I would still be out of it even if they didn't increase the fees.

It was also too much work for me as one person to keep the station's playlist continually refreshed.

I had a couple of obstacles that made me stop webcasting; but lack of funds was the most important one.  :(

AltaredLives

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 05:10:22 PM »

That is our Country and Gov. Donna.
Corporate Greed, Personal Greed, Entitlement. It's what this country is made of now.

I reluctantly agree. I took some classes on stock trading this year, and I assure everyone that reads this -- corporations are not concerned about jobs -- blue collar or white collar -- or people, or products, etc.

They are concerned about how stocks and currencies trade - PERIOD. And whatever has to happen for them to make money on the stock market, that's what concerns them - PERIOD. If they have to cut jobs, bam. They cut jobs. If the little guy gets squeezed out, they don't give a flying rat's tail hair.

All they care about is how they can invest their money to increase the value for their investment portfolios - PERIOD.

greenyellowdawn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »
To everyone who feels strongly about the recent CRB ruling, and everyone else who cares enough, just letting you know that I've just added a petition to the savenetradio.info site.  Here's the direct link - please - let's send a loud message. 

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/please-bring-back-microcaster-provisions-in-crb-ruling.html

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 05:10:11 AM »
Quote from: greenyellowdawn

UPDATE: just got a new email from Marvin and done some fresh calculations.  My previous month royalty charge was US$23.50.  In January it will be US$58.50.

You must have gone over your allotted 3500 listening hours and Marvin bumped you up to the next level, which would be 7000.
I'm only paying 39.50 for Jan.

greenyellowdawn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 01:16:14 PM »
You must have gone over your allotted 3500 listening hours and Marvin bumped you up to the next level, which would be 7000.
I'm only paying 39.50 for Jan.

Yep, you're right, just getting the Australian / US currencies mixed up. :(

#i99MusicRadio

• View Profile
    • http://i99Radio.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 07:24:02 PM »
Our new fee is $79.95/ month. It hurts, especially since I run it commercial free as a one man show. For the first time were starting to take some donations to help out. Don't think we'll get much but anything will help at this point.

I also cut the listening hours down from 12 to 5 to now 4. That will reduce a lot of TLH, especially our iTunes Radio listener.
#i99MusicRadio
The Alternative Music You Request!

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 09:57:09 AM »
Our new fee is $79.95/ month. It hurts, especially since I run it commercial free as a one man show. For the first time were starting to take some donations to help out. Don't think we'll get much but anything will help at this point.

I also cut the listening hours down from 12 to 5 to now 4. That will reduce a lot of TLH, especially our iTunes Radio listener.

What did you use or how did you cut your hours down? I used RIP, but it only bumps them, then they're right back.
Would like some info please?