Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Where is the thread about StreamLicensing being Sold?  (Read 6078 times)

Keoll

• What Are Your Boundaries?
    • View Profile
    • No Boundaries Radio
Re: Where is the thread about StreamLicensing being Sold?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 04:07:58 PM »
The aversion to ads isn't really illogical but whatever.
If It Rocks, We'll Play It!

Max Boogie

• Global Moderator
  • "...plan for the worst, hope for the best!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 09:21:26 PM »
Please pray tell how are you going to cover the fees required by the PROs, to run an ethical licensed station?  You have deep pockets?  Or did you win the lottery?  For the rest of us the ads cover a big chunk for the fees we all (at least the licensed stations) Must pay...  So no ads, I run myself out of business, I run one measly :30 ad BEFORE my listeners get to my stream AND no inserted ads unless I trigger them ever, and my per performance fees ARE PAID FOR ME.  I don't know what your ATH is but mine is over 10,000 every single month.  So yeah the adversion to ads is illogical.... Ads - stay broadcasting... No ads - to expensive to stay broadcasting...

TheDrunkenScoundrel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 11:24:25 PM »
I wasn't trying to imply they aren't family friendly, but some of us have listeners who are more attuned to Public Radio, Podcasts, and SiriusXM.
PSA-type ads are more in-line with their values..plus there is an assumption among some that we are cleaning up and maybe not sharing with the artists. My listeners are FOR SURE concerned about Indie bands getting paid and not get taken advantage of (which we are definitely not doing)

One of the Radiodiversity ads is two former members of Iron Butterfly explaining that the current CRB ruling hurts Indie artists.
I'll run ads for businesses-no problemo-but it is nice to be able to project shared values to my audience.

You can stop reading here because I am going to soapbox a little:

New artists are just not making any money any more. Even new bands on the Majors can have trouble making a living as many new deals include percentages of merch and ticketing even more than before and hardly anybody gets a decent royalty check.
The extreme result is that there have been deaths attributed to accidents caused by bands pushing themselves to tour more on a limited budget without adequate rest.
Technically, the only issue I have with paying more royalties is that the way the deal is structured I can't ever grow my station into a profitable business.
Thanks for listening!  :)

AltaredLives

• Gospel Hip Hop and Rhythm-n-Gospel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 07:22:41 PM »
Since I'm unfortunately not webcasting anymore, I was wondering if there is any issue with stations that are nonprofit running ads? My station was a part of my nonprofit organization.

I don't think ads would be an issue for the IRS as long as my nonprofit was not raking in any funds. But then, I can't say for sure without inquiring about it.

Concerning artists and their "getting paid," I think stations should specifically point artists to the organization(s) that should be paying them royalties. Stations do not pay royalties "to" the artists. Soundexchange and the Performing Rights Organizations pay the royalties to the copyright holders (which are the artists, in most instances of indie artists, I would suppose).

I was continually trying to educate the artists on my station to the fact that they need to be in the face (so to speak) of Soundexchange and any PRO they belong to, asking where are their royalties, if they have an issue of not being paid. The bottom line is, very few are going to make any "living" money from royalties, just because of the way the payouts are calculated and constructed.

"That's" why artists need to be touring and such. Even the "big artists" make the majority of their money from touring and marketing merchandise, "not" from royalties.

TheDrunkenScoundrel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 10:51:23 PM »
As far as legal non-profits go: From what I understand, there are some strict legal limits about income and also from WHERE that income is from.
I could be wrong, but the best advice I have seen about being a non-profit is this:
Spend money on a lawyer.
LOTS of money.
Especially when dealing with the distribution of copyrighted content.
One of the 'jokes' in the business-world is that it is much like being a politician.
Sure, you aren't there 'just' to make money, but you can vote yourself a huge salary instead of taking profits.
My understanding is that if you run a NP you REALLY, REALLY need goood lawyers to make sure you aren't doing it wrong.
Apparently, the IRS and the DOJ are VERY particular if you get flagged as a question-mark...and not in the same way as when you make a few 'mistakes' on your tax return.
From what I have heard (and this is just my experience) in an individual tax case the IRS might just let you slide a little if you pay.
In the case of a 501.C3? They may just go straight to a criminal investigation.
Like I said, just from what I have heard.
On the artists-front? Royalty checks CAN be a huge thing if you are the songwriter. You can be an artists who is totally underground and if a band covers your song for, say, a soundtrack and it sells huge numbers?
You'll get a big check.
Sales are not what they were due to piracy (which is why we are getting crushed-they assume we either steal or help facilitate theft) and the majors don't want to admit their backroom pocket-stuffing they make on royalties while not enforcing the law.
Just my hay-penny.