Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: SOCAN (Canada)  (Read 5374 times)

wsimkins

• Staff Member
  • Administrator
  • Streaming Pioneer
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
SOCAN (Canada)
« on: May 25, 2016, 08:45:22 AM »
For the past couple of years StreamLicensing has offered free coverage with SOCAN (Canada) as part of our package plans. At SOCAN's request we will no longer offer this service.

SOCAN is now taking direct licensing applications. Below is the email I got from them:

"If you could so kindly remove the SOCAN logo as well as exclude SOCAN from your “plan description” that would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, I request that you send out a communication to all your clients that Canadian public performance rights are no longer covered as my team will be reaching out to the individual stations and I would assume you would want your streamers to hear this information from you first.

Feel free to copy newmedialicensing@socan.ca as well as include a SOCAN 22.F Application for License (attached) as I am certain your clients will be pleased to see annual blanket fees are hardly heavy handed and that the licensing process is simplified. I would say 99% of all stations would qualify for minimum fee under this tariff."

Feel free to contact them direct.
Wes Simkins
Chief Operating Officer
StreamLicensing Networks LLC

roosterradio

• View Profile
Re: SOCAN (Canada)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 07:06:21 AM »
So what does this mean for American based StreamLicensing clients? 

solidrockradio

• View Profile
    • Solid Rock Radio
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 05:35:10 AM »
Wes, something that may have been over looked, the stream validation link still shows coverage by SOCAN
Building Your House On The Solid Rock Of Jesus Christ!
www.solidrockradio.org

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 10:44:17 AM »
So what does this mean for American based StreamLicensing clients?

Guess it means you have to block all Canadian listeners, either that or pay Canada too

roosterradio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 07:10:04 AM »
Minimum Fees: $28/year if the combined SOCAN repertoire use on the site is 20% or less, $79 if the combined use is between 20% and 80%, and                   
$100 if the combined use is 80% or more.                  

It would seem US streamers are not responsible for this, but I'm no attorney: 

SOCAN members are paid royalties when their music is performed in most countries around the world. Through reciprocal agreements with many performing rights organizations (PROs) throughout the world – like ASCAP in the U.S., PRS For Music in the U.K. and SACEM in France – SOCAN receives royalties from them for performances of SOCAN members’ music. In turn, SOCAN distributes royalties to its affiliated PROs for performances of their members’ work in Canada. International royalties are included in SOCAN’s quarterly distribution.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:30:46 AM by roosterradio »

bluesmusicfan

• View Profile
    • Blues Music Fan Radio
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 02:41:44 PM »
I just stumbled on to this, and it is already three weeks old. Is there not going to be an email sent around to your clients to notify them? It seems kind of an important development to just post in a forum that not everyone reads...
----------------------
BluesMusicFan Radio - bluesmusicfan.com
Great blues grabs your soul and never lets go!

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 05:05:11 PM »
Minimum Fees: $28/year if the combined SOCAN repertoire use on the site is 20% or less, $79 if the combined use is between 20% and 80%, and                   
$100 if the combined use is 80% or more.                 

It would seem US streamers are not responsible for this, but I'm no attorney: 

SOCAN members are paid royalties when their music is performed in most countries around the world. Through reciprocal agreements with many performing rights organizations (PROs) throughout the world – like ASCAP in the U.S., PRS For Music in the U.K. and SACEM in France – SOCAN receives royalties from them for performances of SOCAN members’ music. In turn, SOCAN distributes royalties to its affiliated PROs for performances of their members’ work in Canada. International royalties are included in SOCAN’s quarterly distribution.

So Rooster, do we have to do this or not. I can't seem to find an answer to that question.

roosterradio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 10:44:47 AM »
My guess is no but as I said I'm not an attorney.  It would be nice to get all of these lingering questions answered before I relaunch.

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 12:27:59 PM »
I got the answer. Only needed if you live in Canada

bluesmusicfan

• View Profile
    • Blues Music Fan Radio
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 01:36:05 PM »

I can say this. Contact SOCAN. The information on the forum here seems to be conjecture and SOCAN will advise you on what you need to be covered. Unless you geoblock Canada, you must be licensed.
----------------------

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 11:29:44 AM »

I can say this. Contact SOCAN. The information on the forum here seems to be conjecture and SOCAN will advise you on what you need to be covered. Unless you geoblock Canada, you must be licensed.

I asked this through a support ticket. My info is correct.

bluesmusicfan

• View Profile
    • Blues Music Fan Radio
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 01:32:30 PM »
OK, conflicting information here...

This is the information I got from SOCAN regarding repetoire and affiliation agreements:

"SOCAN has reciprocal agreements with societies all over the world.  These agreements mean that SOCAN licensed webcasters/web radio broadcasters have access to virtually the world’s repertoire of music.  These reciprocal agreements do not cover licensing in other territories.  Societies do not grant worldwide licences as every territory is governed by different copyright laws.  If Canadian IP addresses and mobile devices (listeners) can access a web radio stream, regardless of where the broadcaster is geographically located or where their server is based,  the operator of the stream requires a SOCAN license."

I'm not trying to "top this" - merely letting the community know what my experience was.
----------------------

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 07:32:13 AM »
Here is a copy of my ticket:

What about this Canadian thing? Are we blocked, or do we have to pay them?
Paul Merrell || Staff06/14/2016 19:33
Hi
Broadcasters are covered here for U.S. licensing.
If your not located in Canada, no need to be concerned.
Stations to have the option of licensing direct with SOCAN.

Paul

roosterradio

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 07:52:41 AM »
As a practical matter, how does a Canadian licensing agency have authority in the US to collect?  If they want me to stop playing Rush and Gordon Lightfoot, I can do that as well.  :)

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 04:06:01 PM »
As a practical matter, how does a Canadian licensing agency have authority in the US to collect?  If they want me to stop playing Rush and Gordon Lightfoot, I can do that as well.  :)

Wouldn't worry about it unless you live in Canada