Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Tech advice from the forum?  (Read 1559 times)

TheDrunkenScoundrel

• View Profile
Tech advice from the forum?
« on: July 22, 2016, 02:16:30 AM »
Hi Guys,
I've searched the Internets for advice on this but I can't find anything on-point to our situation as broadcasters:
Upgrade to Windows 10 or not?
I haven't bought any new radio-specific software in a while-are the old standby programs like SAM upgraded to work effectively with Win. 10?
Thanks.

Max Boogie

• Global Moderator
  • "...plan for the worst, hope for the best!"
    • View Profile
Re: Tech advice from the forum?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 07:50:19 AM »
I got sick of the Win 10 upgrade nag screen and upgraded.  I like it because its kernel is the win tile/tablet based OS.  Integration with social media for your station is very good.  90% of the programs will work with it.  If your on a 32 bit machine I would recommend upgrading to 64 bit before you upgrade to 10.  Remember, computers like cars, it all comes down to "what's under the hood..."  IMHO  if your running your station 24/7 on your local machine, spring for the engine upgrade package.  i7 64 bit 16G RAM 1Tb is the optimum machine. I stream 3 stations out of a quad 4 64 bit and it runs great.

Good Luck,
Max B.

AltaredLives

• Gospel Hip Hop and Rhythm-n-Gospel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 07:10:18 PM »
I have never been an early adopter.  ;) I have hesitated on upgrading to Win10 simply for that reason, because I have some great software that I've had for a minute and use quite frequently (not webcasting software). I'm not sure they will run in Win10 since they precede it by several years.

Therefore I'm not chancing it at this point. I try to generally wait until most bugs have been worked out of new OS's, then I wait a little longer until MS introduces an even newer OS.  ;D

So I've always been 2 operating systems behind when it comes to MS. Can't say that I've had any issues with it, either, to this point.  ;D But that's just me...

But like radiowayne would always end, "But then again, I could be wrong."  :P

(Hey, where is radiowayne anyway. Is he still webcasting? His caveat at the end of his comments was always so funny.)

TheDrunkenScoundrel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 11:03:37 PM »
1.) Thanks for not posting "Just buy a Mac!!" :):):):)!!!!
I would, but I am poor.
2.) Great responses from both ends of the spectrum.

I am a PRE-early adopter when I can afford it, but having had insane success and stability with XP and 7? I appreciate the input from both.
I use a cloud-based DJ which is as solid as they come, I am happy with nearly all aspects of it.
The reason I asked, is that I want to be prepared in the event someone says, "Hey, bring your laptop to XYZ location and do a live broadcast!!"
I have a zero-budget now, so I can't buy new gear, but the things about 10 which intrigue me are the increased simplicity of the interface.
I don't want to upgrade  and think it is simpler and get caught with my pants down.

mrbill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 10:29:30 AM »
I upgraded my broadcast PC running SAM Broadcaster to Windows 10, and have not had any problems.  A couple of caveats.  Un-register your SAM Broadcaster software before you upgrade, and then re-register after the upgrade.  Also, one big negative - Windows 10 does automatic updates and you can't turn it off.  What that means is if your PC does an update and reboots, you will be off air until you bring your SAM Broadcaster back up.  For that reason alone, you should have some kind of backup (AutoDJ, SAM Cloud, etc.) that will kick in if your stream goes down.