Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Pennsylvania Streaming Tax  (Read 1305 times)

mrbill

• View Profile
Pennsylvania Streaming Tax
« on: August 16, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »
http://rainnews.com/pennsylvania-to-tax-streaming-services/

When I first saw this I was really worried.  The article doesn't really explain how it will work, so I had to look elsewhere.  They are going to impose sales tax on monthly subscriptions like Netflix or Hulu.  This will also apply to any subscription music services as well.  Plus, they are going to apply sales tax to any Apple or Android streaming apps that you purchase from either the Apple store or Google's Play Store.

The articles I read said that it was strictly a means to try and close the budget deficit in Pennsylvania.  In other words, it's just politicians looking for another way to reach into your pocket and get money (I apologize if that's too political a statement to make here.)

When I first saw the RAIN headline, I was worried.  We, as small webcasters, have enough to worry about without having to worry about some new tax being levied on us.  I'm less worried now that I know the details, but I still don't like it.

AltaredLives

• Gospel Hip Hop and Rhythm-n-Gospel
    • View Profile
Re: Pennsylvania Streaming Tax
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 04:14:30 PM »
Yeah, that's something else, isn't it? :o

TheDrunkenScoundrel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 11:52:36 PM »
One of the most amazing things to me about internet commerce is how long it has taken for states to tax sales.
As a small business person I have ZERO issue with sales taxes and as so much moves to the internet those taxes are (IMHO) necessary.
Not just to make for lost revenue but lost jobs.
Not to get too political, but one of the downsides of Internet Commerce has been the commoditization of what has previously been the domain of businesses.
It might not seem important or seem like that much but the average stats are potentially appalling for small communities:
With a local business an average of around $.40/dollar stay in the community. With a major chain that drops to around $.14/dollar.
As a Californian I benefit from this because all of your internet sales-bucks are getting Hoovered into my state...by companies which then shuffle that money all over the world to avoid paying taxes on it.
This is part of why I have no issue with paying royalties-even really high rates.
The problem is when the royalties or taxes hamstring small business growth.

wtmuradio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 06:01:44 PM »
crazy whats wrong with these people ! :(