Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Gaining Income For Your Station  (Read 4837 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
Gaining Income For Your Station
« on: October 31, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »
The good news: Our StreamLicensing agreement allows regular, commercial advertising on your station. 

The bad news: Advertising doesn't just automatically flow when you start broadcasting.

No doubt the very first prerequisite to gaining advertising dollars is related to the amount of traffic hitting your website and the number of listeners your radio station pulls.  Advertisers pay close attention to ROI (Return On Investment).  They want to know that when they spend a dollar, they get more than a dollar back.  Typically they are going to figure how much they invest per 1,000 or whatever "impressions" you can produce.  So, we are back to the basic formula.  Before you can really go after advertising dollars, you must get your website traffic up and your listener numbers up. 

I am told by national radio advertising types that you can actually start making some money on a stream that produces somewhere around 75,000 Total Listening Hours per month.  That gives you a goal at which you can aim.  To gain advertisers, your number one goal must be to gain and hold listeners.  You do that every day and you will reach a point where you move to the next level: going after advertising.

All that aside, what are you doing to fund your station?
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com

oldgold

• View Profile
Re: Gaining Income For Your Station
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:08:52 PM »
My plan was to advertise my website on the air, but Amazon and other affiliate programs have different websites for Europeans, where 70.3% of my listeners are located 

By the way, since moving to StreamLicensing from the other guy, my audience has increased dramtically...469% in the last 30 days!  Marvin is so great to work with and has designed the perfect business model for web radio broadcasters.  Thank You, Marvin. 

wsimkins

• Streaming Guru
  • Administrator
  • Streaming Pioneer
    • View Profile
    • ProStreaming
Re: Gaining Income For Your Station
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:50:06 AM »
I have been exploring income opportunities for my station and my customers for several years now. I have started publishing a few methods I use on my blog which can be viewed at http://djcmedia.com/?cat=54.

Oldgold, I use a banner rotation program with my website which allows geo targeting. OpenX is the name of it and they host my adds and as part of their community they offered me a revenue share program. You can check them out at http://openx.org. It didn't cost me a penny to join.

I put a bunch of time into promoting my website and gaining industry contacts. We now do album reviews and I receive news releases from record companies that we post on the site. With the fresh content we moved higher in the search engines and have not had to pay for any clicks. The last 6 months of last year we averaged more than 3,000,000 page views each month. I used to put all my eggs in my stream basket, then I figured out it was costing me more money. We changed our strategy last year and it has made a huge difference in our revenue. Our goal this year is to make money off the website, not the stream.

http://acousticalternative.com/web

I also partnered with Alternative Revolt Magazine and write an article for them each month. That has helped increase my readership on the website. A friend of mine is now helping me write articles and such for Acoustic Alternative which should help increase my traffic even more.
Wes