Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Submitting Your Station To iTunes  (Read 37620 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
Submitting Your Station To iTunes
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:59:37 AM »
If you want to gain listeners in a hurry one good way is to submit your station to iTunes for inclusion in their station listing.  Here are the basic guidelines to follow.  If you have questions on how to proceed, ask them in this thread.

Be mindful also of the increase expenses associated with more listeners.  These increased expenses include paying for increased listener slots AND because we are required to charge fees based on your expenses as well as your revenue, your licensing fees will increase because 1) your listener hours and sessions increase and 2) you will be reporting increased operating expenses.

1) Make sure your stream is solid with no buffering and no dead air.  iTunes will not include your stream if it has problems when they listen to it initially.  They will also drop it from their listing if problems develop once you are listed.

2) Make sure you have enough slots to carry new listeners, again iTunes will not accept your stream if you don't have enough slots to handle the new listeners.  The last I checked, the recommended slot capacity was at least 300 slots.  You may not gain more than a few dozen listeners or you could go sky-high.  You must have the capacity to carry whatever is generated by iTunes.  After a couple of months, you will have a baseline for how many listener slots you need to maintain and you can back your listener slots down somewhat if you have too much capacity.

3) Your stream must be have a bitrate of at least 128k for mp3 or 64k for AAC+ unless your station programs only non-music content.  You can use one of your existing mp3 or AAC+ streams as long as it meets or exceeds the bitrates specified.  You can list only one stream and only one station.

4) Build a .pls tune-in file and send it up to your custom folder at StreamLicensing.com.  (Sample .pls file code follows at bottom of this post.)  Now open your itunes software, go to Advanced> Open Stream and copy in your .pls file (url should look something like http://streamlicensing.com/stations/streamlicensing/64K_AAC_Plus.pls) and make sure it works.

5) Email itunesradio@apple.com putting "station submission info" as the email's subject.  You will get back an autoresponse similar to the one below.

6) Read the form carefully and note their requirements.

7) Complete the email appropriately and send to itunesradio@apple.com.  Be sure you include all information requested and formatted as they specify.  Note also the correct subject line to use when submitting your station  i.e. Station Submission: (station name) (ex: Station Submission: Hits Radio).  If you want us to vet your submission before you send it to iTunes, just open a service ticket in your StreamLicensing panel and we'll look it over for you.

Typically within a few days they will let you know if your station is accepted or rejected.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in iTunes Radio. AS OF NOVEMBER 19, 2010, WE HAVE MADE CHANGES TO OUR SUBMISSION AND PROCESSING GUIDELINES. Please take a moment to read the following.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
  * Streams must broadcast at a bitrate of 128k or higher, except for spoken word such as News/Talk, Sports/Radio and non-music Comedy. AAC+ streams 64k and higher are acceptable.
  * Stations can list only one bitrate and one genre.
  * Stations using names other than their own to be listed higher in the directory or twice in the directory will be rejected.

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT THIS IS AN AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED RESPONSE. If you have already sent new submissions or updates, they will be processed within approximately 5 business days.

To add, edit, or troubleshoot your listing in the iTunes Radio Directory, please follow the guidelines below.

1) All emails must have one of these three subject lines as follows:
    *  Station Submission: (station name) (ex: Station Submission: Hits Radio)
    *  Station Update: (station name, exactly as it appears in iTunes)
    *  Other Inquiry: briefly state issue here

2) Station updates and submissions for multiple stations at once may be submitted in one email. Please attach the information in a document (MSWord, Pages, etc.) if there are more than three updates or submissions.

3) We will only accept requests from the contact that we have on file for the station or a station owner. Listeners, friends, station personnel not listed with us cannot make requests on behalf of a station.

4) Station submission requests must contain all of the following information:

iTunes Store login account/email address
Station Name (this must be the name as it is used in your station’s official branding; you may not change your name to start with 'A' to be listed higher unless it is a legitimate part of your station's name)
City/State/Country of Origin
Language of Broadcast
Stream Type (MP3, AAC or AAC+)
Station genre; must be a genre listed in iTunes 10 (sorry, only one genre per station)
Website for station
Short station description (to be shown in tuner)
Contact name, email and phone number
Bitrate (sorry, only one bitrate per station)
Audio Stream IP/URL (sorry, only one url per station)

If you are a Live365 station, you must make your request through iTunes at Live365 (iTunes@live365.com)

5) Station update requests must contain the following information:

Station name (this MUST be the name as it exists in iTunes)
Contact person name, email and phone number
The specific update you'd like us to make ONLY (do not resubmit information that is remaining unchanged)

6) Further notes:

Please ensure that your station stream works properly in iTunes:

* Open iTunes
    * Select 'Open Audio Stream' from the 'Advanced' menu
    * Enter your audio stream URL

Remember: only .m3u, .mp3 and .pls formats are compatible with iTunes. IP addresses (with these format streams) are also acceptable. .asx, .wma, .qtl and other various formats are NOT compatible and should not be submitted for consideration.

iTunes does not guarantee specific times of updates, station addition or station maintenance.

Additions and changes may only be made to the directory included with iTunes 10. No changes can be made to older versions of iTunes. If you do not see your station, first ensure you are using the latest available version of iTunes, available here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Station names, descriptions, and URLs may be edited to conform to our editorial and technical standards.

We may remove your station at any time, without notice. We may not re-add a station depending on this issues surrounding its takedown. In most circumstances, we will attempt to contact you when we remove a station, using the contact info you provided to us.

Please allow up to 5 business days for your station to be added before inquiring about its status.

Best regards,

 iTunes Radio Team
itunesradio@apple.com

Code: [Select]
[playlist]

File1=http://77.67.106.14:80
Title1=All Southern Gospel Radio
Length1=-1

NumberOfEntries=1

Version=2
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:03:41 AM by admin »
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com

Doc

• View Profile
    • Classic Hits Radio
Re: Submitting Your Station To iTunes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 11:55:35 AM »
Very informative.
"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" (The Beatles)

oldgold

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »
Is all of that necessary?  I-tunes is 6th on my list of most used players and I havn't had any contact with them at all.  Maybe I am not listed but people can listen anyway? 

Doc

• View Profile
    • Classic Hits Radio
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »
Well I got listed on iTunes 3 weeks ago and it now makes up over 55% of my listeners.
Was easy and quick. Best thing I could have done.... :D
"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" (The Beatles)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:42:13 AM »
If you want to increase your listeners, yes get specifically listed on iTunes, tunein.com and windowsmedia guide.  Your listeners will dramatically increase (as will your expenses for bandwidth and licensing).  Hopefully at some point you hit a point where you can gain income either from advertising or donations to turn the financial tide from all going out to at least moving toward going on the plus side of breaking even.
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com

wsimkins

• Staff Member
  • Administrator
  • Streaming Pioneer
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 06:28:20 AM »
Is all of that necessary?  I-tunes is 6th on my list of most used players and I havn't had any contact with them at all.  Maybe I am not listed but people can listen anyway?

People can listen to your station in iTunes without you being listed.

Listing in iTunes is a GREAT way to increase listenership. Just remember, the more people who listen, the more it will cost you in licensing fees.
Wes

dgarlock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »
After following the procedure, I received the following:

Hello,

We kindly ask that you place all submissions and/or modifications into an excel document.

Regards,

Elisa-Maria

Has anyone else encountered this?  If so, what format shouldthe Excel document take.

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »
After following the procedure, I received the following:

Hello,

We kindly ask that you place all submissions and/or modifications into an excel document.

Regards,

Elisa-Maria

Has anyone else encountered this?  If so, what format shouldthe Excel document take.

Wow, thats a new one. Now what makes them think that everyone has Excel? I know I had to download open office to be able to use any Excel files. Well any updates they get from me are still going to be in a regular email like I've been doing with them for the past six years.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 09:51:43 PM »
New to me also. I'll contact them and find out how they want that formated.
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com

dgarlock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 09:55:26 PM »
Thanks!  I do have Excel but there was no indication as to how to format the document.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
Hello Marvin,

We would greatly appreciate it if you could follow this format for station submissions.

Please note - only .m3u, .mp3 and .pls formats are compatible with iTunes. IP addresses (with these format streams) are also acceptable.

.asx, .wma, .qtl and other various formats are not compatible and should not be submitted for consideration.

Thank you,

Elisa-Maria
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com

dgarlock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 08:36:36 PM »
Thanks, Marvin -- You're the best!

Red Earth Radio

• View Profile
    • Red Earth Radio
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 05:49:09 PM »
I always heard that the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. Ok, to submit to iTunes, write in the subject line the following:

1) Station Submission: (station name) (ex: Station Submission: Red Earth Radio)

2) Then you attach an Excel (xsl) file with the information as per format given above to a blank message?

Is that what I'm reading?

icastcenter

• StreamLicensing Preferred Provider
    • View Profile
    • iCastCenter.com
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 11:24:06 PM »
I always heard that the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. Ok, to submit to iTunes, write in the subject line the following:

1) Station Submission: (station name) (ex: Station Submission: Red Earth Radio)

2) Then you attach an Excel (xsl) file with the information as per format given above to a blank message?

Is that what I'm reading?

For your station, for #1 above, I would put the subject line as follows:

Subject: Station Submission: Red Earth Radio

The (ex:) that Marvin meant example.

As for #2, yes, create a spreadsheet in Excel or Open Office and title the columns as follows:

Then attach it to the e-mail. In the message text/body, write in:

Code: [Select]
Hello,

Please see attached spreadsheet for the submission of my station titled "Red Earth Radio".

Thanks in advance,
Your name

I've done so many station submissions to iTunes for various customers, I have lost track of them. If you run into any problems, feel free to write back!
Brandon Wade
Owner, iCastCenter.com - StreamLicensing Preferred Provider
http://www.icastcenter.com

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 08:11:03 AM »
Here is the latest as of 12/19/2012:

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

* Streams must broadcast at a bitrate of 128k or higher, except for spoken word such as News/Talk, Sports/Radio and non-music Comedy where AAC/AAC+ streams 64k and higher are acceptable.
 * Stations can list only one bitrate and one genre.
 * Stations using names other than their own to be listed higher in the directory or twice in the directory will be rejected.

THIS IS AN AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED RESPONSE. If you have already sent new submissions or updates, they will be processed within approximately 5 business days.

TO ADD, EDIT, OR TROUBLESHOOT YOUR LISTING

1) All emails must have one of these three subject lines as follows:

* Station Submission: (station name) (ex: Station Submission: Hits Radio)
 * Station Update: (station name, exactly as it appears in iTunes)
 * Other Inquiry: briefly state issue here

2) If you have updates for several stations, please forward all requests at once and into one email. Please attach the information in a document (Excel, Pages) if there are more than three updates.

3) We will only accept requests from the contact that we have on file for the station or a station owner. Listeners, friends, station personnel not listed with us cannot make requests on behalf of a station.

4) **UPDATED SUBMISSION FORMAT**

Submission requests must contain all of the following information and be submitted directly into the excel spreadsheet we have provided for you, available for download here:

http://itstreaming.apple.com/podcasts/radio/radio_submission.zip

Station Name (this must be the name as it is used in your station’s official branding; you may not change your name to start with 'A' to be listed higher unless it is a legitimate part of your station's name)
 *Station genre
 City, State
 Country of Origin (select your 2-letter country code)
 Short station description (to be shown in tuner)
 *Explicit material? (Yes or No)
 *Frequency (select 23)
 Website for station (include full URL, beginning with http://www...)
 *Approved (select Yes)
 Contact name, email, phone number and iTunes Store login account/email address
 *Status (select Active)
 *Strength (select 45)
 Audio Stream IP/URL (sorry, only one url per station)
 *Language of Broadcast

*These fields have been pre-populated in the spreadsheet for your convenience. When inserting information into the Station Genre, Country of Origin, Explicit, Frequency, Approved, Status Strength and Language fields, please click the drop-down arrow to view your list of allowable entries. Inserting information that has not been made available to you in these fields will result in a rejected submission.

Once you have completed your spreadsheet with all of the above required information, save your work and drop the excel file into an email with the remaining necessary station information attached directly in the body of your email:

Stream Type (MP3, AAC or AAC+)
 Cover Art: attach a 1400 x 1400 JPG or PNG image using RGB colorspace to your submission form

Please note:

- Stations will not be reviewed if they have not been submitted via an excel spreadsheet or have elements of the spreadsheet missing. All fields are mandatory.
 - Any spreadsheet that has been modified from the original template provided will not be reviewed or listed.
 - Our updated submission process relies on precise metadata. This means that any typos will result in an automatic rejection and the station owner will be notified and asked to review his or her spreadsheet for errors. Please review your station information for proper use of grammar and capitalization.
 - We are currently undergoing a metadata audit to ensure the proper use of things like spelling, capitalization, grammar, etc.

Here are a few examples of station descriptions that will result in an automatic rejection:

- The BEST Hits On The Air E V E R !!
 - Beat Central --> Broadcasting Your Favorite Tunes !
 - STREAMING HARDCORE HOUSE **24/7**
 - your official station playing NON stop jams

Here is how the above stations should read in order to be considered for approval:

- The best hits on the air ever!!
 - Beat Central, broadcasting your favorite tunes!
 - Streaming hardcore house 24/7
 - Your official station playing non stop jams

If you are a Live365 station, make your iTunes submission request by emailing iTunes@live365.com.
 If you are a Radionomy station, make your iTunes submission by emailing iTunes@radionomy.com.

5) Station update requests must contain the following information:

Station name (this MUST be the name as it exists in iTunes)
 Contact person name, email and phone number
 The specific update you'd like us to make ONLY (do not resubmit information that is remaining unchanged)

If you have updates for more than three stations, please submit all modifications into an excel spreadsheet.
 Please note that if you are sending station updates via an excel spreadsheet you may not include station submissions in the same file, and vice versa. Please keep station submissions and updates in separate excel files.

6) Further notes:

Please ensure that your station stream works properly in iTunes:

* Open iTunes
 * Select 'Open Stream' from the 'File' menu
 * Enter your audio stream URL

Remember: only .m3u, .mp3 and .pls formats are compatible with iTunes. IP addresses (with these format streams) are also acceptable. .asx, .wma, .qtl and other various formats are NOT compatible and should not be submitted for consideration.

iTunes does not guarantee specific times of updates, station addition or station maintenance.

Additions and changes may only be made to the directory included with iTunes 11. No changes can be made to older versions of iTunes. If you do not see your station, first ensure you are using the latest available version of iTunes, available here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Station names, descriptions, and URLs may be edited to conform to our editorial and technical standards.

We may remove your station at any time, without notice. We may not re-add a station depending on the issues surrounding its takedown. In most circumstances, we will attempt to contact you when we remove a station, using the contact info you provided to us.

Please allow up to 5 business days for your station to be added before inquiring about its status.

Thank you for your interest in iTunes Radio.

Regards,

? iTunes Radio Team
itunesradio@apple.com
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com