Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Advertising with Facebook and Google AdWords  (Read 7062 times)

Renegade Roadhouse

• View Profile
Advertising with Facebook and Google AdWords
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »
Hello all...

I'm the administrator for TheRenegadeRoadhouse.com which my friend and I launched a couple of months ago.  Getting ourselves listed on the Shoutcast directory seemed to attract a bunch of rip-artists from foreign countries.  Plus having people come to us from outside directories means people don't come in via our website, which we hope will eventually have enough views to be feasible to have Google AdSense ads and other similar things.  We'd like the website to eventually cash-flow and maybe just generate a wee bit of income.

Right now, though it's too early for us to do that.  Marvin has talked about using Google Adwords to help promote his station.   What kind of a budget should we think about in order to make a dent?   From what I can gather, successful AdWords come at about a dollar a click.

Haven't investigated Facebook advertising yet.   I keep hoping fb will become the CB radio of our new century, as in disappearing almost completely from our popular culture.  (C.W. McCall's "Convoy" is on our playlist, as if we can actually resurrect CB radio to its '70s glory days)   But since fb doesn't seem to be going away soon, what are some of the fb strategies you've tried, both w/ advertising and with simple things like getting more "likes".

Russ Johnson
administrator for
TheRenegadeRoadhouse.com

RockRadio1

• View Profile
    • RockRadio1 Classic Hard Rock & Heavy Metal Radio
Re: Advertising with Facebook and Google AdWords
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:55:03 AM »
My 2cents for what it is worth.

You need to have a reason for people to come to your web site and stay there. At the present there does not seem to be much to do on your site. Try to add some more content and/or things to entertain folks (requests, games, relevant news feeds, etc). Also make sure that you have strong branding in place (voiceovers letting folks know your web address is a start). Do some basic free advertising by posting on relevant forums and social network sites to help drive traffic in. IMO, paying for adwords is a waste of money.

Another possible source of income apart from Google adsense is: http://www.linkshare.com/

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:20:42 AM »
I felt like Google Adwords did not give me the return on my investment that I should have gotten.  On the other hand, I did really well with Facebook.  I think part of my success with Facebook is that a lot of prospective listeners in the genre/niche my station hits hang out on Facebook.  Your mileage may vary.  With either one you can set up your daily / monthly budget.  Stick with that budget so that it doesn't bankrupt you in the excitement of getting clicks.
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com

Renegade Roadhouse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 06:39:33 PM »
All good suggestions...I'd agree that our website has been a bit sleepy.  It has been a work in progress that's getting more attention now that we're finished uploading our playlist.   (no budget for audio processing, so I've been applying some modest compression and EQ prior to  uploading.)

And, I had to be my own VO guy, though as a former traffic reporter I figured I could do a credible job at a good price (free).  I'd still rather have a better VO voice, but that will come in time.  Liners run every fourth song with our website address.

I added a modest little contest late last night mostly to generate some e-mail traffic.  I'll dup some of this material to our Facebook page and post in some of the forums I've frequented in the past.

One other thing I've been thinking about for content for the website are anecdotes about some of the songs and artists on the playlist.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 07:20:17 PM »
Re. facebook likes.  I am the worst to talk about it.  I don't do facebook, BUT a listener volunteered to put one up for me and he and I maintain it, mostly him.  We don 't do nearly as much as we should with it but in just a few months we have over 400 likes and a decent member of active participants each week.  It becomes free advertising as they tell their friends, and etc. 

Which reminds me, when it is all said and done, your listeners are your best advertising.  Invite them over and over to invite their friends to listen.  I haven't tried it, but you could even run some kind of contest tied to inviting new listeners.  A good website is important, but even more important is that we remember this is radio.  Make it as easy as possible for them to hear your station, make the content something they want to come back for.  Make sure your station is always there and on.  Listen to rockradio1.  He is pulling some really great listener numbers.

Off topic:  And re. audio processing.  Pre-processing is important so you are right on target to do that.  Next consider breakaway live.  For a $100 more or less you get a tremendous audio processor that is probably the best processing software solution available for Internet Radio.  The only thing better in my mind is the Orban internet radio sound card.  I believe thejazzgroove.com is using the Orban card.  I'd be interested to know what Joseph is using.
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com

RockRadio1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 12:22:10 AM »
Just to get an idea of potential reach, here are some insight numbers for the past month from our facebook fan page:

Total Likes?

Friends of Fans?

https://www.facebook.com/RockRadio1

I only just started being more active on Facebook in the last 6 months and I am sorry that I did not tap this potential source for new listeners sooner.

Pay close attention to the 'Friends of fans' figure as it shows you the reach that we are currently able to achieve just through people who have already liked our page.  Currently I have it so that two pal scripts in SAM automatically post song info at set intervals to both Facebook and Twitter. I only put out about 3-6 of these updates per day so I don't clutter peoples feeds with too much data. As you can see most, if not all posts get likes.

Regarding audio processing. My station was actually one of the first to use Breakaway when it was in beta and before it went public. I was used as a test bed for various profiles, namely the one called Motor City was developed on my station. My sound engineer (Jesse) is one of the people who are active in the breakaway project with Lief the developer.

Just for info, we use a few more plugins with Breakaway to get the sound just right but as I am sure you will understand I would rather keep those as a bit of a trade secret.  ;D

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:49:44 AM by RockRadio1 »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 03:48:17 AM »
Interesting. Yes, I've seen Jesse's name all over the breakaway forum.  You just can't go wrong with breakaway live IMHO.  You've opened my eyes to more possibility with Facebook as well.
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com

RockRadio1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 04:08:02 AM »
Just to be a bit clearer in my description of the Facebook numbers that I posted above. The correct description of the 555,908 figure is "The number of unique people who were friends with people who liked your page". That is not a figure of people who have seen my posts or page, just the number of friends that people who have 'liked' my page have.

Renegade Roadhouse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 11:31:26 PM »
Breakaway...I've demo'd it and yes I'd like one!  And compared to broadcast solutions like Orban, Axia and other black boxes that I'm used to hearing about, you can't beat the price.  But it'll have to wait until there's enough money in the budget for our music, Station Playlist automation and processing to reside on the remote server. ..

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 05:25:54 AM »
Fortunately, Breakaway Live is not very resource intensive, doesn't require a lot of processor and memory headroom to operate.
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com