Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Remote Software  (Read 10301 times)

oldgold

• View Profile
Remote Software
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:29:37 PM »
My host is Centova so I have the CentovaCast auto DJ, but I am not satisfied with some limitations, so I would like to use some other software, but even though I have business class internet, the connection is not 100% dependable and it is the only service available to me. 

What I am looking for is software that can be installed on a remote webserver and controlled from my computer or alternatively, a web host that has something better than the CentovaCast auto DJ.  I have my own web servers, but I don't have a lot of bandwidth to spare. 

If you can make sense of what I am saying and know of a solution, I would be grateful.  Thanks. 

Doc

• View Profile
    • Classic Hits Radio
Re: Remote Software
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:28:27 PM »
Jack...

Hello buddy...
Have you looked into a VPS from Shoutcast Streasming US?
Is this the kind of thing you're looking at?

Doc
"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" (The Beatles)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:39:34 AM »
I personally use radiodj.ro on a server at a data center (similar to a shared vps) as Doc mentioned.  Then I use tightVNC to log in and control the automation just like I was in front of it personally.  You could go that route with any preferred automation software operating on a remote server somewhere.
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com

oldgold

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:15:31 PM »
I thought I posted a reply but I don't see it.

Thanks Doc (Good to hear from you again) and Admin.  Now I know that it is possible, I just need to figure out exactly how to implement it. 

Does it need to be a Windows server or can it be Linux? 

icastcenter

• StreamLicensing Preferred Provider
    • View Profile
    • iCastCenter.com
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:30:09 PM »
Hello oldgold,

To run a station automation software such as SAM Broadcaster, Station Playlist Studio, Radio DJ, etc, they are windows programs, so it would need to be a Windows-based server.

Otherwise, if you are already using a Linux-based computer at home to broadcast from and are using all Linux-based software to broadcast with, such as Rivendell, then you could get by with a Linux-based server.

If you're unsure which kind of server to get, reply back and let us know what software you are currently using to broadcast with and we'll let you know which kind of server you will need.
Brandon Wade
Owner, iCastCenter.com - StreamLicensing Preferred Provider
http://www.icastcenter.com

oldgold

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 11:44:57 PM »
Hi Brandon

Thanks for the reply.  That was the answer that I expected, but I wanted to be sure of my options. 

My streaming host is pre-paid thru Jan 2013 and my website is on my own Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz, 4 cores LAMP box, so all I need is a remote server to host SAM or some other automation system. 

I have tried installing the SAM demo on two separate PC's and it would work for a short time and then return errors.  I don't know how their support is for paying customers, but it was non-existent for a potential customer.  For that reason, I will probably look first for other options.  LiveWebDJ appears to be a nice option, but they will only accept PayPal so i didn't bother testing it. 

Whatever setup I use, I still want to be able to be "live" as well, but I should be able to control that through the CentovaCast panel.   

Thanks again for the reply.

Jack

icastcenter

• View Profile
    • iCastCenter.com
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:34:17 AM »
Hi Jack,

Sounds like you're pretty much ready, once you select an automation software to use on the server. I'm not sure what kind of errors you were receiving with SAM Broadcaster, so I couldn't suggest what to do about them, however I know of several people using Station Playlist Studio and Radio DJ - two great options to look at. One is paid, the other is free.

Regarding LiveWebDJ, you can contact me via e-mail if you'd like to try it out, there are other payment options other than PayPal that we can arrange for that. My address is brandonwade@icastcenter.com - It is very basic, but it works great for an auto dj whenever you're not broadcasting live. In addition, this solution would not require you to have a dedicated windows server.

Regarding switching from "autodj" to "live", all you'd have to do is de-activate whatever solution you decide to go with first, then go on live. Then vice-versa to return back to auto dj. On the other hand, what a lot of our customers do is use an Icecast server to broadcast to. Then you'd have your "autodj" broadcasting 24/7 no matter what to the /autodj mount point, then whenever you go on live, you would simply connect and start broadcasting to the /live mount point and the Icecast server will automatically switch to the live feed whenever you're connected. If you don't want to switch entirely to Icecast from Shoutcast, you can also setup your Shoutcast server to relay from the Icecast server. A little tweaking is required of the Icecast configuration, from the stream host's side of things, but most stream hosts will know what to do.

I'm sure anyone here will be happy to make solid recommendations should you have any further questions.
Brandon Wade

shoutcaststreaming

• View Profile
    • ShoutCast Streaming
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »
Quote from: oldgold
I have tried installing the SAM demo on two separate PC's and it would work for a short time and then return errors.
Sorry to hear you were having issues with the test version of SAM.

We have 3 technicians on our staff who are also on the SPACIAL support team.  So, if you have any issues with SAM we will be glad to support you.

You would need a Windows server to run SAM, as it is doesn't run on Linux.  We are having a 25% off sale now on VPS (through January).

The OS for Linux on any VPS is free, but Windows 2003 or Windows 2008 has a small additional fee that Microsoft charges for the lease of the server license.

http://www.shoutcaststreaming.us/specials.htm
Only Dedicated BANDWIDTH Servers
VPS / Transcoding / Auto DJ / Mobile Phone App
http://scs.ms

oldgold

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 09:21:12 PM »
Hey Brandon, I hope you see this. 

I attempted to use the trial of LiveWebDJ sometime ago, but still could not get past the PayPal, which is not an option for me (thanks to Randall Krause).  When I most recently checked your website to see if there was another payment option added, it said "we'll be right back". 

I finally got the trial of Sam to work, but I didn't feel it warranted the price.  I tried the StationPlayList that Trip suggested and I not only like it better than Sam, it is a much cheaper.  The problem is that I have too much latency in my internet connection and I will have to set it up on a remote server if I am going to use it. 

So before I begin the ugly process of trying to get StationPlayList to run on a remote server, I would like to try LiveWebDJ.  Is there any chance you will have a different payment option and when will you be taking on new customers?   

icastcenter

• View Profile
    • iCastCenter.com
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 01:00:11 PM »
Hi Jack,

Actually the reason why it says "we'll be right back" on http://LiveWebDJ.com is because we're currently re-developing LiveWebDJ to include many new features. We're making it easier to use along with packing in many new features.

Please e-mail me directly at brandonwade@icastcenter.com and I would be happy to set you up with a free test account of the new LiveWebDJ system that's not available yet.

A nice new feature that I believe you will like is that if you'd like to broadcast a live show from your computer, you can simply stream to LiveWebDJ directly, and it will take care of fading into your live broadcast - without interruption to your stream and without losing listeners. It also works even further to your advantage because if you lose your Internet connection during your live broadcast, LiveWebDJ will take back over instantly by fading back into rotation/auto dj.

There's many other new features also being developed, but I can't mention them all yet.

Brandon
Brandon Wade

icastcenter

• View Profile
    • iCastCenter.com
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 08:22:25 PM »
Just wanted to follow up with everyone that LiveWebDJ.com is now back with version 2.0. Amazing stuff.

http://www.LiveWebDJ.com
Brandon Wade

LMTTRR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 10:17:24 AM »
Just a note that I'm now using Station Playlist Pro on a VPS now for a little over a week, moving off my own local computer, and it has been solid. I've been using SPL for 4 years now, and found it to do everything I need. I will follow up on any issues with SPL and running on a VPS if I run into them. So far, so good.

I'll have to check out LiveWebDJ just for grins. Always enjoy looking at other programs.

Tried Rivendell too, but not sure how it would work on a VPS, as it doesn't use direct sound for output, but works best with a rather expensive sound card for optimal use. Software is free though, and extremely capable.

oldgold

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »
Just to let you know, I hooked up with Brandon and did some testing with LiveWebDJ and found it worked well for me.  I sent him a wish list and was amazed at how quickly many of the items were fullfilled.  Not that anyone should expect that, but it sure made me happy.

I am in the process of uploading all of my content and adding it to the playlists now. 

A big advantage of this service is that you don't have to run your own computer 24/7.  With my electric rates, it is cheaper to have LiveWebDJ than the electricity to keep a computer  running all the time. 

I really suggest signing up for the trial.  I think you will like it. 

icastcenter

• View Profile
    • iCastCenter.com
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 12:29:14 AM »
Thanks for the plug Jack! We're having a lot of fun helping everyone get started with our new version of LiveWebDJ.com.

We do take all feedback very seriously and if possible we will always implement suggested features!
Brandon Wade

oldgold

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »
Another great feature that I forgot to mention previously is the volume normalization.  My stream sounds noticeably better because of this feature. 

Since my last post, the media and playlist interface has been updated/upgraded and it is amazing.  It is so easy to manage playlists.