Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Streaming App Development & Hosting  (Read 6690 times)

AltaredLives

• Gospel Hip Hop and Rhythm-n-Gospel
    • View Profile
Streaming App Development & Hosting
« on: March 26, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »
I hope this is the right category for my question.

I recently viewed a video about mobile apps. There are several sites that allow you to create your own app for various functions. The video presenter stated that these apps can be created for free because the developers of the services make their money from hosting the apps.

My question is, what about the apps make it impossible to host it on one's own site?

And, does anyone know of developer sites where you can create an app (free or for pay) and then put the app on your own site (or in our case, on SL's custom page)?

Red Earth Radio

• View Profile
    • Red Earth Radio
Re: Streaming App Development & Hosting
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 06:30:22 PM »
This is a quote from someone I saw posted on another site. Not sure if it's true, but it may true. Maybe Marvin can help us here.

"I wrote here a while back about using mobile apps and got a ton of response from licensed broadcasters with concerns mobile apps aren't covered under the blanket licenses.

I got clarification on the subject this week and found out how they can be legal.

If you build and manage you own mobile apps, you are illegal. If a company like Nobex Radio builds and maintains your apps you are legal, as long as the mobile stream is reporting to your licensing agency. The developer must own the app, not you. In the case of www.nobexradio.com, they own the main radio apps. Under their Partners Program they will build your apps, submit them free to the providers and still own them under their developer account. This makes it perfectly legal according to ASCAP and BMI response to our inquiries."

AltaredLives

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:02:42 PM »
Thanks for that information, Red Earth Radio.

I've seen that app hosting can be very expensive. So that's why I was hoping we could do something ourselves. I'm learning what a streaming web app actually is or actually does through my research.

In so doing, I'm learning that services like Nobex are very advantageous for webcasters.

Classic Deep Cuts

• View Profile
    • Classic Deep Cuts
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 03:11:07 AM »
Check with your web host. Mine has a mobile site build add on for 35 bucks a year.

AltaredLives

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
Check with your web host. Mine has a mobile site build add on for 35 bucks a year.

Thanks, Classic Deep Cuts. I'll check into it.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 06:57:55 PM »
Technically, any app other than StreamLicensing's app is not covered under StreamLicensing coverage. So far the PRO's have not made a big deal of it, but before you invest money or effort in your own app, you do need to know that a) best case, it could be forbidden in the near future by a vigilant auditor for one of the PRO's and b) worse case you could be fined for using one.

This is less of an issue for a third-party app, one that is owned by TuneIn.Com, for example. And let's face it, most of us are listed on TuneIn, it is virtually an industry standard.

Looking ahead, in just a very short time our 100% legal StreamLicensing app will be out the door and your station will be on it. It will be an app  that your station will be on within just a few hours of having  a live stream up and running.

The plan is for you to be able to tell your listeners to download the StreamLicensing app, then use your unique ID code to lock that app to your station. Thus it will become at that point your app, displaying only your station (and the legally required StreamLicensing trademark).

I have the development app on my iPhone and it is working well. It will not have every possible bell and whistle but it does have some great features and I believe you'll be proud to use it.

This app will be available for both IOS and Android.
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com

AltaredLives

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 05:22:22 PM »
That's great neews, Marvin.  ;)

SnowHow

• View Profile
    • A-1 Radio
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 09:50:41 PM »

Looking ahead, in just a very short time our 100% legal StreamLicensing app will be out the door and your station will be on it. It will be an app  that your station will be on within just a few hours of having  a live stream up and running.

The plan is for you to be able to tell your listeners to download the StreamLicensing app, then use your unique ID code to lock that app to your station. Thus it will become at that point your app, displaying only your station (and the legally required StreamLicensing trademark).

I have the development app on my iPhone and it is working well. It will not have every possible bell and whistle but it does have some great features and I believe you'll be proud to use it.

This app will be available for both IOS and Android.

YES!  ;D

I've been wanting an app of any kind for years, but couldn't because of the aforementioned licensing issues. THIS would be awesome!  8)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • StreamLicensing
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 09:16:38 PM »
It is very, very close to being out the door. The temporary database issue has momentarily stopped our beta testing and setup with the developer because we don't want a further load on the servers until we have the current load under control. Hopefully, the work we are doing tonight will put us back on the road to stability.

For the technically inclined, at the end of the work tonight we will have two master-master mysql database servers, and four slave mysql servers to handle our database. The plan is to have full redundancy in two separate datacenters.
Marvin
StreamLicensing.Com