Listen to your favorite music from our licensed radio stations!   

Home Station Directory Radio Players  
Pricing & Signup Broadcaster's Area
 Navigation:
Home
 Listeners:
Station Directory
Radio Players
 Broadcasters:
Broadcasters Area
Pricing & Signup
F.A.Q.
Resource Partners
Tutorials
Community Forum
LoudCity Forum
Legal Info
Contact Us

Author Topic: Strange listener?  (Read 3419 times)

greenyellowdawn

• View Profile
Strange listener?
« on: January 05, 2016, 03:03:20 PM »
For the last two or three weeks I've constantly had a listener which in some ways doesn't sound that much out of the normal.

However, due to my situation, I usually turn off my computer (and my station) over night, because living in a studio, computer is in the same room as bed, and can't sleep with computer noise and lights.  Also, during Australia's hot summers, it creates extra heat with confined area (no aircon), and good to cool things off over night.

However just fired up everything this morning, and there we go again, that listener.  What is so weird about this is that they've tune in exactly when I've turned on.  I was on air for no more then 40 seconds, and the broadcasting panel showed they were listening for 30 seconds.

Noticed the other day that when I was on for already four hours, they were also listening for the same time.

Is it likely listeners now have software that automatically tunes in when a station comes back the next day or could this be a robot, and how would I know?  The IP is 52.62.25.60.  Google shows Washington DC address in America, another search engine shows IP coming from Miller's Point; right next to the Sydney Harbour Bridge.  This is utterly weird. :(
Celebrating the complete history of pop
From the 50s 60s 70s 80s and 90s.
http://www.2prfm.com

gilmatthews

• View Profile
    • Reunite With Lost Oldies In The Retro Attic!
Re: Strange listener?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 08:25:04 PM »
For the last two or three weeks I've constantly had a listener which in some ways doesn't sound that much out of the normal.

However, due to my situation, I usually turn off my computer (and my station) over night, because living in a studio, computer is in the same room as bed, and can't sleep with computer noise and lights.  Also, during Australia's hot summers, it creates extra heat with confined area (no aircon), and good to cool things off over night.

However just fired up everything this morning, and there we go again, that listener.  What is so weird about this is that they've tune in exactly when I've turned on.  I was on air for no more then 40 seconds, and the broadcasting panel showed they were listening for 30 seconds.

Noticed the other day that when I was on for already four hours, they were also listening for the same time.

Is it likely listeners now have software that automatically tunes in when a station comes back the next day or could this be a robot, and how would I know?  The IP is 52.62.25.60.  Google shows Washington DC address in America, another search engine shows IP coming from Miller's Point; right next to the Sydney Harbour Bridge.  This is utterly weird. :(

I've seen similar IP addresses in the past. It belongs to Amazon Technologies and is more than likely a robot. What I've never figured out is how Amazon "discovered" our stations. I would just ban it.
"I'm Together, I'm Apart, I'm Forever At The Start. Still, I Am."

greenyellowdawn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 12:49:17 AM »
I just contacted my provider NexusCast, and through a support ticket they noted that someone broadcasting through Icecast cannot kick off or ban a specific listener. 

The head of the company would have to put the ban of the IP in server wide, and prefers not to do it. 

He recommended me to go back to ShoutCast, which personally I prefer, but then this puts me in a bind where Shoutcast is not compatible with Marvins software for picking up the metadata of my stream for copyright compliance.

This is becoming a real concern as this one guy alone has already racked up 2,500 hours for the month, and with the new CRB ruling, this is nothing short of a real problem.

I've shut down my stream directly from SAM Broadcaster a few times for about five minutes.  He disappears for a little while, but as soon as I start the stream again, this IP address is back right on cue. 

AltaredLives

• Gospel Hip Hop and Rhythm-n-Gospel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:09:46 AM »
I just contacted my provider NexusCast...

He recommended me to go back to ShoutCast... but then this puts me in a bind where Shoutcast is not compatible with Marvins software for picking up the metadata of my stream for copyright compliance...

I've shut down my stream directly from SAM Broadcaster.

When I webcasted using SAM via a SC server, there was no problem getting the metadata info for SL. What has changed w/ SAM or SC that makes such transmission of metadata impossible now?

greenyellowdawn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 01:38:20 PM »
What has changed w/ SAM or SC that makes such transmission of metadata impossible now?

I don't know, I just remembered marvin asking me to move from shoutcast to icecast when joining SL.  But I'm going to ask Nexus to put me back to shoutcast, because I think Ice is a real pain in the proverbial. 

greenyellowdawn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 03:14:48 PM »
Just want to take this opportunity to thank the extensive time and help Breck from NexusCast has given me.  We sat online last night for a good hour and a half sorting through this issue, and finally of this morning I've nipped it in the but.

Seems Amazon wanted to hijack my listening slots for some odd reason, but now they are blocked. 

AltaredLives

• Gospel Hip Hop and Rhythm-n-Gospel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 03:37:53 PM »
Glad you got it straightened out.  ;)

greenyellowdawn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 07:57:17 PM »
Yeah, they were really ruthless, they attacked my station with about 15 different IPs, and in the end I decided to dump Icecast and go back to good old Shoutcast. 

Icecast must be known for being vulnerable, because the radio station owner can't do anything at their end, and has to contact the icecast admin, who in my case was the technical support of NexusCast. 

With Shout I can block and ban from my own end, so I pretty much shot those Amazon ducks off with delight last night, love the new shoutcast panel. :)